Epoxy Main Well Plugs on Quadrajet

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This questions spawned from a post from Rodbolt in a different thread... So I thought I would start a new post as it was getting of subject of the original question:

Rodbolt or anyone else that knows where/what he meant when he said: "after cleaning flip the body assy upside down and carefully epoxy the main well plugs, they tend to leak causing a hard restart after sitting for a few days and can cause a rich idle."

Could you advise me a little more precisely as to what I should epoxy to prevent leakage. I have the carb completly dissasembled and am looking at the Bowl Assembly and the Throttle body assebly and not sure exactly what you were describing. I have attached two pictures below hoping you can identify what needs to be epoxied in the pictures:

Carb002.jpg

Carb001.jpg

kdrags68

Cadet
Re: Epoxy Main Well Plugs on Quadrajet

See the two silver plugs in between all four holes in the first pic? They are about 2x the size of a pencil. They should be replaced in a carb overhaul and sealed properly to prevent leakage.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are showing the top and bottom of the carb assembly but not the center section which is where the well plugs are. Some carb rebuild kits come with a rubber seal that sits over the well plugs and compresses to form a seal when the carb is assembled. Here is a picture. Be aware that some older Q-jets suffered from porous castings and therefore this fix will not cure that problem even though the symptoms were the same.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Rochester/QJet/1980/pages/Image058_jpg.htm

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first picture IS the center section of the carb. The top section is not shown (bowl cover). What number are the well plugs in the eploded diagram you linked to?

ajkolar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully the 4 spots identified were correct. I posted a picture below of the 4 spots I spread a thin layer of epoxy over, and am pretty confident this was correct. If not, can someone let me know ASAP before I start putting things back together ;-)

Carb.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral

take the bowl you have and flip it, take another picture of the inside of it all... then it will become a little clearer

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is where i always epoxy them