10% Ethanol gas with yamaha

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice
Just wondering is it save to use gas that contain 10% ethanol on a yamaha.
Engine years 1997 90hp.

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 10% Ethanol gas with yamaha

Yes, in fact that is all you can buy in my neck of the woods.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just make sure you have a Racor Fuel filter/Water seperator installed.

scottcmb

Seaman

my suggestion is to do a search through this forum for some of RODBOLT's answers to the use of E-10 fuel i think you will find that the answer works out to be "NO"!!

Here is an extract i have copied and pasted from yamaha's website:-

Fuels

ETHANOL BLENDED FUELS

OUTBOARDS

Q. Are Yamaha outboards motors, 4 stroke and 2 stroke, designed to operate on Ethanol Blended Fuels.

No, All current and previous models are NOT designed for Ethanol Blended Fuels at any percentage. (ie. E5, 5% and E10, 10%).

If Ethanol Blended Fuels are used you may experience driveability and running problems, fuel component deterioration and damage due to moisture.

PERSONAL WATERCRAFT (PWC's)

Q. Are Yamaha PWC's 4 stroke and 2 stroke, designed to operate on Ethanol Blended Fuels.

Year Models prior to 2000 are NOT designed to operate on Ethanol Blended Fuels. Year Models 2000 and after are desogned to operate on Ethanol Blends at a maximum of 10% (E10)

1. Will my early model Yamaha outboard run okay on standard unleaded petrol (91 ~ 93 ron)?

Yes! All Yamaha models, from the early 1970's have been designed to operate on lead free petrol in the octane range of standard unleaded.(91-93 ron).

2. Will I cause any damage to my outboard if premium unleaded or high-energy fuels are used?

No. However, if you encounter any running problems as a result of using such fuels, change back to standard unleaded (91-93 ron).

3. Fuel Notes

With any fuel, ensure you obtain it from a reliable source, and that the fuel used is always fresh. Stale fuel can damage an engine.

Hope this helps you with your answers:):)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Ethanol not only cleans,scrubs and dissolves buildup of scale,vrnish and nsties, it deposits them in the carb, I have 65 gallons in the belly of my boat,next tank will be E-10, so I am going to start cleaning with Star-tron and pray.
on the 90 hp question, the E-10 persay wont kill your engine, it will screw up the fuel system.
so far we have had good results by changing the fuel pump,changing all the rubber components in the carbs and praying.
however I am sure we will start seeing crank seal failures due to the ill effects Ethanol has on rubber.
our area just got the dreaded mandated fuel that the current crop of whitehouse crazies mandated.
Ethanol belongs in my Evan Williams bottle, not my fuel tank.
we all know alcohol and gas dont mix. :)
however I am making a killing off the mandate so far with no real end in sight.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2006 90 HP 4 stroke Yamaha that has been run only on 10% ethanol. Here in the Houston area that's all that is available. I have about 130 hours on the engine and haven't had any problems so far - at least that I know about.

The only trouble that I've had was when I managed to get a buch of salt water in the fuel tank. That made one heck of a mess, but I was the sole culprit in that goat rodeo.

scottcmb

Seaman

I have a 2006 90 HP 4 stroke Yamaha that has been run only on 10% ethanol. Here in the Houston area that's all that is available. I have about 130 hours on the engine and haven't had any problems so far - at least that I know about.

The only trouble that I've had was when I managed to get a buch of salt water in the fuel tank. That made one heck of a mess, but I was the sole culprit in that goat rodeo.

topping up the tank while still in the water were you??:D