66 merc 500 idle/restart issues

Andy in NY

Commander
okay, it runs great, fires right up. But, saturday we had been fishing for a little bit (maybe 45 min) and when I restarted, it started up okay, but didnt want to idle. I had to rev it up a little to keep it running, then when I would put it in geat to go it would just die. Finally we just sat there idling for 10 min and it was okay. when we stopped again about 15 min later, it did the same. is this a carb issue? I am planning on doing a decarb sometime this week... hoping that helps. I would like it if it would idle better after being warmed up...

Laddies

Banned
Re: 66 merc 500 idle/restart issues

You may have a carb rich and revving it cleans it out or a plug acting up with the same result.

Andy in NY

Commander

I did a seafoam treatment yesterday, so I'll see tonight or tomorrow if that helped clear it up or not... seemed to idle better on the muffs though.

Tomtina3

Cadet

Sounds like it could use some carb adjustment. There's a link somewhere on this forum explaining Timing and Sync of Merc Inlines, youshould be able to find it with a search. A little adjustment of those carb needle valves can make a huge difference.

Andy in NY

Commander

Okay, I didnt have the restart issues yesterday, but after running WOT for about 20 min and dropping down to idle/neutral it stalled. any idea why?