George Carlin May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
I just saw on CNN web news that comedian George Carlin died last evening at 6pm local time, in Los Angeles, CA. The apparent cause of death was a heart attack.

Thanks for the laughs, George - you were one of a kind.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: George Carlin May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008

He was the tops, even if i did'nt agree with what he said, he made me laugh till my belly hurt. He was true to his craft.
RIP George.

Was he not soon to recieve some kind of award?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Had the pleasure of seeing him do a couple of shows "back in the day" (80's). Killer laughs. I did not care for his later stuff, got to political for my taste. May he rest in peace.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

He gave the word "small" a new meaning :D Will never forget that or him. One of a kind for sure. He will be missed............SS

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well that sux, I reallt liked his 'stuff'.....:)
R.I.P.........:(

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hmm.... sniff..... rip george.

i386

Captain

Yep, I'll miss him too.:(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

He set new standards in comedy..... no one will forget him and I will say I am happy to have enjoyed his work while he was alive.

gonfishn

Commander

Stayed stoned all his life.and did it his way. Saw him a few times myself in his earlier days. He walked to a different tune for sure.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My first memory of George Carlin is from a live show that I saw him in when I was a kid. I don't even remember exactly when it was but I'm going to guess about 1967.

At the time he was touring with singer/dancer/actress Joey Heatherton as an opening act. To this day, I remember this funny, funny guy in a suit with a skinny black tie. Even then, he was doing the "hippie-dippy weatherman" routine. Although I don't think I would have gotten the contrast then, when I think of the show now, the mental image of this straight looking, "properly attired" guy doing the type of humor that had already begun, just cracks me up.

Frankly, I'd be just as happy if some of the ground he broke had been left alone, but I did enjoy a lot of his humor and admire him for his ingenuity.

oddjob

Commander

Well,this is not going to be PC for some so if these quote bother anyone just remember were talking about the deceased and the opinion many Americans besides himself hold.

CARLIN: Let me tell you about endangered species, all right? Saving endangered species is just one more arrogant attempt by humans to control nature. It's arrogant meddling. It's what got us in trouble in the first place. Doesn't anybody understand that? Interfering with nature. Over 90%, way over 90% of all the species that have ever lived on this planet, ever lived, are gone. They're extinct. We didn't kill them all. They just disappeared. That's what nature does. We're so self-important, so self-important. Everybody is going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails. And the greatest arrogance of all, save the planet. What?

CARLIN: I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths, people trying to make the world safe for their Volvos. There is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The people are (bleep) -- difference, difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. It's been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little more than 200 years.

CARLIN: Two hundred years versus four and a half billion, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we're a threat, that somehow we're going to put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun? The planet has been through a lot worse than us, been through all kinds of things worse than us, been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sunspots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles, hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages, and we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn't going anywhere. We are! We're going away.

Last edited:

mscher

Lieutenant

Well,this is not going to be PC for some so if these quote bother anyone just remember were talking about the deceased and the opinion many Americans besides himself hold.

CARLIN: Let me tell you about endangered species, all right? Saving endangered species is just one more arrogant attempt by humans to control nature. It's arrogant meddling. It's what got us in trouble in the first place. Doesn't anybody understand that? Interfering with nature. Over 90%, way over 90% of all the species that have ever lived on this planet, ever lived, are gone. They're extinct. We didn't kill them all. They just disappeared. That's what nature does. We're so self-important, so self-important. Everybody is going to save something now. Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails. And the greatest arrogance of all, save the planet. What?

CARLIN: I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths, people trying to make the world safe for their Volvos. There is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The people are (bleep) -- difference, difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. It's been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little more than 200 years.

CARLIN: Two hundred years versus four and a half billion, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we're a threat, that somehow we're going to put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun? The planet has been through a lot worse than us, been through all kinds of things worse than us, been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sunspots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles, hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages, and we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn't going anywhere. We are! We're going away.

No argument here.

Carlin was a comedic genius, but when he went from his classical cynicism, to straight-out contempt, a lot of the funny went with it, IMO.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

His humour will be sadly missed.