Help! 25 hp Evinrude Seized!!

benu0009

Recruit
Here's the scoop:

I was operating my '91 evinrude 25 hp in the water at full throttle when the boat slowed suddenly and stalled. When I went to restart it using the electric start it would not crank. I took the cover off and tried to pull start it but I realized the flywheel was seized.

I'm almost positive that the impeller was sucking water and cooling the powerhead properly as I saw water dripping from the little exit hose and the engine was warm but not unusually hot.

I have removed the lower unit and the gear shaft that goes to the prop assembly turns normally, however the flywheel is still seized.

Is my next step to take off the flywheel and remove/disassemble the powerhead?! Any thoughts about what happened or I need to look for!?

Thanks for you help in advance!!

benu0009

Recruit
Re: Help! 25 hp Evinrude Seized!!

Thanks for the reply. It's a '91. I tried the link you posted but it wouldn't open for me.

benu0009

Recruit

Well I removed the powerhead tonight and disassembled it. Looks like the rod bearing for one of the pistons went out and loosened the clamp that holds the piston to the crank shaft. This clamp was rubbing on the underside of the crank case cover and eventually just stuck.

Good news: As soon as I removed the crank case cover the shaft and pistons moved freely.

Bad News: Some of the metal that had been scraped off of the underside of the crank case cover had made it's way into the cylinder and worn the side of the piston a little. Rings still and cylinder still look pretty good though.

Obviously I need to replace the rod bearings and powerhead gaskets. How do I know if I need to replace the the piston and rings? Is it okay to use the same crank case cover with the damage on the underside? Anything else I need to know!?

Thanks!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Is the surface that is damaged just open normally? If so it should be OK. Be sure to replace the rod bolts with all new ones.

If it were mine, I would replace all of the rings.