87 force 125 low compression 1 cylinder

litlejimm

Recruit
Help, I have a 87 force 125 with a new head gasket, Then i checked the compression 3 cylinders have 125 and one has 60. But it won't start. I thought it would start on 3 cylinders if one cylinder is low , Has great spark. Someone at boat shop was to junk it. If someone has any idea what i can do PLEASE let me know. Thanks, Jim

nabularach

Banned
Re: 87 force 125 low compression 1 cylinder

Did your mechanic check the piston and ring condition when he changed the head gasket? I just had the same type of problem and my bottom cylinder only had 70 psi. I pulled the head and replaced the head gasket last weekend and it worked great. If the gasket is new and he torqued the bolts down correctly then I would pull the head and see what it looks like inside. I am by no means a mechanic but I did my own last weekend and it was very simple. Good luck

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 force 125 low compression 1 cylinder

pull the head and look down in the problem cylinder, see if there is scoring, broken rings, etc... you can replace the piston and rings with the motor on the boat, but if you damage the cylinder, then you have to tear down the motor and take it to a machine shop. Both ways can be a DIY job, no experience necessary! just a repair manual and this site. Don't keep trying to start it without checking that cylinder, if the piston has failed, you don't want to damage the cylinder any more.