Hitch STUCK to Ball

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,

I have a Loadright Trailer with surge brakes. recently I'm having trouble getting the hitch (Brake Actuator) to come off the ball. It takes 5 - 6 trys, backing up, moving forward, jacking, un-jacking, jacking ... Finally the last two times I was able to get it off.

This is teh kind of Actuator-Hitch I have.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/49439.gif

Any Ideas ??

B

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hitch STUCK to Ball

Pull the latch pin bolt and sand off all of the rust in the coupler body, the latch lever, the latch pin bolt and the latch. Grease all of them generously and reassemble. Wait to adjust the latch up tight until it is on the ball. Then adjust it up tight and back off a quarter to a half turn.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

IT WORKED !

Thanks!

I didn't grease it yet because I wasn't sure about putting grease on the latch and ball. Wont that make it slip off the ball?

BW

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

No. The latch makes the opening smaller than the ball when it is shut. The grease cuts down on the rust and friction. Congratulations. I too know the frustration of sticking couplers. That is one reason that I have gone to Bulldog Hammerblow couplers when I can and use loop and pintle hitches on all of my heavy equipment.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wooways me

Well it worked ... once. Then, Stuck again next time. I'm afraid to loosen the latch nut any more.

I greased the inside of the coupler and the latch with my finger and then wiped it with a rag so there was no grease built up. Should I grease it more liberally? I did not grease any other parts (obviously didn't follow the instructions)!

BW

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would check for any burrs or sharp edges that might be causing the hang up. Although if you jack the trailer high enough the truck weight will eventually overcome any burrs.

Once off the ball get some PB Blaster or simular penatrating spray oil and spray up thru the ball socket at the underside of the latch.
Then work the latch a few dozen times or more to make sure the parts inside that go up against the ball are dropping away everytime you run the latch lever.

reelfishin

Captain

Check a few obvious things first. Is the ball socket or coupler bent or deformed in anyway? Does the handle flip up and loose easlily or does it feel like its binding or too tight?
Which the handle up, does the tongue part underneath move freely or is it stuck upwards against the ball?

Try tapping downward on the handle while it's in the up position and see if it releases. Take the handle/latch assembly apart, clean and grease all parts well.
As noted above, only tighten the latch while it's on the ball, then back off till you have some noticeable play, usually between 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns.

Also check to see if the bolt or pin that goes side to side through the coupler is too tight and pinching the left and right sides of the couple together. Not all are bolted, some have fixed pins though. This bolt should use a self locking nut and shouldn't be over torqued.

Grease all parts, it both prevents wear and corrosion. It will not make it slip off the ball.

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the posts!

The coupler is not deformed in any way that I can see.
The handle flips easily.
The tongue latch falls away freely.

I did tighten the bolt pin pretty tight.
I'm going to take it apart again, grease all parts like EC recommended in the first place and then put it together WITHOUT tightening the bolt pin all the way.

Stay tuned!

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wa-LA!

Thanks to all. After taking it apart and greasing everything and installing the bolt properly the thing works like a charm.

Excellent posts.

BW

twag4

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Bull, when you goto unhook your trailer, alway pull forward to put a little pull pressure on the trailer tongue. If the trailer is trying to push the tow vehicle when you go to unhook it, this will usually cause the kind of difficulty you are talking about. If trailer is pushing forward on your tow vehicle, chalk the tires then get in the tow vehicle and just pull forward enough to put a pulling pressure on the trailer, do not jump the chalks. Set the parking brake to maintain the pressure and uncouple. Do not move the tow vehicle until the trailer tongue has cleared the ball. This should solve your problem.