newbie question please help. cracked block or bad gasket

pa98tj

Cadet
i just traded an old jeep i had for a 1985 imperial with a mercruiser 120hp i/o. now i hooked the hose up to it today and started for the first time and i had the cover off the engine and as soon as i started it water was pouring out of the right side of the motor. looked like right where the manifold attaches to the block was where it was coming from. couldnt see any visible crack on the block and theres no water in the oil. my question is do the gaskets on the manifolds go bad like that. is there a chance it could just be a gasket or am i looking at a cracked block? i dont have any experience with these motors so im not sure if its something that happens on these. im so hoping its not a crack:mad:. so please any info anyone can give me please let me know it will be greatly appreciated. im gonna tear into it tomorrow and see what it looks like once i get the manifold off. i was gonna check the tsat cause i figured that maybe if its all gummed up it could have built pressure and blown the gasket out. so thanks in advance for any help.
thanks
jesse

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: newbie question please help. cracked block or bad gasket

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

I don't have Good News for you,...
From your discription,...
I suspect you're going to find either the bottom of the Manifold, or the Top of the Block are Cracked.....
It's a Classic spot for the 4 cyl. GMs to Split when Frozen.....

pa98tj

Cadet

someone? anybody got any knowledge for me. or experiences with this same problem.
thanks
jesse

Bondo

Staff member

Today, 09:32 PM Last edited by pa98tj : Today at 09:50 PM. Reason: mistake
Today, 09:51 PM someone? anybody got any knowledge for me. or experiences with this same problem.
thanks
jesse

Ayuh,.....

You got an Answer in 19 Minutes,....... nope,... Make that 1 Minute.......
And,..... You're Bitching,..??..??

Give Me a Break...............................:rolleyes:

Believe it or Not,... This is a Forum,... Not a Chat-room.....

pa98tj

Cadet

ouch. well thank you for the info bondo even thought i hope your wrong. lol. but it will be alot better if its the manifold thats cracked right instead of the block? theres no chance that it could just be the gasket?
thanks
jesse

pa98tj

Cadet

bondo no bitching at all i promise i appreciate your help. as my second message posted yours showed up. sorry didnt mean to **** anybody off.

txkingfisher

Cadet

I dont know about your particular engine, but I have yet to see any engine where the cooling water flows through the block into the maifold. I mean it should have a hose or something for the cooling water to go into the manifold. A bad gasket would leak exhaust fumes only...

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

all your drain plugs are in right?

pa98tj

Cadet

yep drain plugs are in. i took her apart today and found the culprit. just as bondo had predicted a big crack in the top of the block. so i started to clean it up with a dremel today and it started to rain. so im gonna finish cleaning it up and then grind a v through the cracks and fill her good with jb weld and let her cure good for a day or two and put her back together and see what i got. hopefully it holds if not i was told that the 120hp mercruisers are pretty easy to swap out. if anyone has anything to add to the jb weld process i would love to hear it. once again ty bondo for your help and i didnt mean to **** you off last night.
thanks
jesse

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

i did that once with a epoxy called marine tex.some tough stuff.lasted for years.cracked same spot as bondo mentioned.definatly classic.seen a few that way.some guys weld them.

Bondo

Staff member

once again ty bondo for your help.
thanks
jesse

Ayuh,.....

Best of Luck with it...........;)