3.0L MerCruiser Warm Start Problem

floorboard

Recruit
I have '87 Sea Sprite with Mercruiser 3.0L with and Alpha One out drive.

The motor starts great from a cold start runs like a champ, idles good, sometimes has a small hesitation if I really hammer it, like when pulling up a skier. If I stop and restart right away it fires right back up. The problem is when I let it set for a few minutes then it starts real hard, I have to let it turn over for a while then it will start to fire, then I have to get it some throttle to get it going. If I give it Throttle from the get go it won't even fire. I have Checked the Choke (electronic) and it is open so that is not the problem. I have taken the Carb apart and cleaned real well, that didn't seem to help. I am scratching my head!!!

One more note, once it starts it runs great!!!

Has anyone ever had this type of problem if so what was the fix?

Anybody have any ideas what the next step would be. I thought about just replacing the carb, but at $500 I wanted to be sure that would fix it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Chet

1999 Searay 180BR

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3.0L MerCruiser Warm Start Problem

I'm having the same problem, when I figure it out I'll let ya know, just guessing right now, but I think its running a little rich it fouls plugs about every 10 hours.

floorboard

Recruit

Thanks that would be great!!! Here's a little more info to compare.

I have not fouled any plugs yet. I can smell gas when I am try to warm start, I have thinking flooded, but the inside of the carb looked good. It also Idles rough around 800 and below, has a hard time staying running around 600- 700 rpm.

Just wonder if you are experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,
Chet

Bondo

Staff member

One more note, once it starts it runs great!!!
It also Idles rough around 800 and below, has a hard time staying running around 600- 700 rpm.

Ayuh,.....

It sounds to me that your Carb is probably leaking internally....

If you don't want to throw the $500. for a New carb....
Spent the $50. it'll take to get a Carb Kit,+ Cleaner....
You stand a 50/ 50 Chance of succeeding....

Good Luck....