Old Johnson outboard brochures,...where to look?

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am wanting to begin a new hobby of collecting old Johnson outboard sales
brochures since I am a fan of the older OMC/pre-BRP motors. I am wanting to
find Johnson brochures from 1986 to 1991. The same would go for the old OMC/Sea Nymph boat brochures within the same model years(mainly 1989 to 1991 if you read my post titled "Plan B in action"). Evinrude brochures would also be accepted as long as they are in that model year range as Johnson.
Where would I begin my search? Anything on the web about this? Would the
Antique Outboard Motor Club be of any assistance? Any brochures on the Sea Nymph(before they were bought out by Lowe),and any old Johnson/Evinrude sales brochures From 1986 to 1991 would do.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old Johnson outboard brochures,...where to look?

i don't know, those motors are not considered old. 50's are old.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Old? Dang son, those "ain't" old! They're just gettin' warmed up! We have folks in here running OMCs that are over 50 years old!

PS: Try the auction sites, especially EBay. I see that sort of item listed on them frequently.

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Old? Dang son, those "ain't" old! They're just gettin' warmed up! We have folks in here running OMCs that are over 50 years old!

PS: Try the auction sites, especially EBay. I see that sort of item listed on them frequently.

I am probably going to make someone mad here,...but oh well,...I bet you never see Mercs that are over 50 years old still going. It's always the old OMC motors that I see around here still in action,...very few Mercs. I'll stop there so the Merc guys can regain their composure a moment. My heart says Johnson for that old Sea Nymph I want to start saving money for.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the reason for that, is mercury has only been around 1/2 the time the Johnson/Evinrudes have. J/E had close to 50 years experience in outboards, when Mercury entered the market. and they used some new techniques, that did not quiet work out. some even had left hand bolts and nuts.

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am probably going to make someone mad here,...but oh well,...I bet you never see Mercs that are over 50 years old still going. It's always the old OMC motors that I see around here still in action,...very few Mercs. I'll stop there so the Merc guys can regain their composure a moment. My heart says Johnson for that old Sea Nymph I want to start saving money for.

Its somewhat true. As said merc isn't as old. Though where i am in Ontario, you seem 80% mercs. Mostly of the early 90's to mid 80s era. To this date in my area i have not seen a new brp product. I know they are good machines I'm just puzzled as to why. I see some older stuff, I like the look of the older late 80's rudes with VRO.