New 2009 E-tec 25 -30

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
I'm depressed...It turns out the E-tec 25 is only in the 140-150 lb range. I was hoping it would be up in the 180 lb range. The good news for other brands is that it is a 2-cylinder instead of a 3-cylinder! Hopefully that will make it a dog out of the hole or at least make it like a 4-stroke.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New 2009 E-tec 25 -30

the old rude 2 cylinder motors did good.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I'm just trying to find something to dislike about it at this point:) From the specs that I received it looks nice and tight. I'm hoping that, since it lacks the third cylinder, the 2-stroke advantage in hole shot will be negated and make it even with our 3-cylinder EFI 4-stroke. That E-Tec weight advantage on this model is going to make it a better choice on a few applications. I would really prefer that they only have the one advantage:) If the hole shot is better than the Tohatsu's then the E-Tec may have a major impact on yours truly. I sell an awful lot of engines in this range and don't like the idea of business becoming tougher. I should be able to get some performance data next week when Others play with one. Whatever the results are I will post them here. Since I personally prefer 2-stroke power I have mixed feelings about what might be the conclusions of the Others. That's life.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Elvin, i was kidding you. i have the feeling in the next couple of years, we are going to see a dog eat dog market. you are selling a great product, but that's the thing, they all have their best points, except Parson, and the converted lawn mowers.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I love Chinese outboards:) They may end up saving Western civilization as we know it because anyone who buys one is obviously not too bright. So when they get stranded and aren't rescued they won't be able to reproduce thereby culling our herd of the genetically undesirable:) The preceding comment was meant to be humorous as I don't think anyone here on iboats is dumb enough to buy one of those things. But, to anyone who may have laid out the $452.00 for one, I'm sure YOURS is just perfect:)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Had a call today to go get someone who was lost and broken down out in the bayou. I might have to think about this issue, since the gas to go find people is getting "out the box." Maybe my new rule will be .... "no Chinese outboards - you buy one, I'm not coming for you and you deserve to end up as gator bait!" :D