sorry, serial question for you :) 70Hp, G4113201

morhua

Recruit
Hi folks.

Just got hold of a Evinrude 70hp engine. As a newbie to evinrude, i have to ask you some questions.........

The bracket have been repainted, so there is no chance reading any model number or serial there. Its a 3 cyl, 2 stroke, electric start, power tilt and trim.

I found one number printed on the engine block, it reads: 336343 - D3

The second number i found is on a "freeze plug" (is that what the aluminium plugs are called??) on the engine block, it reads: G4113201

Can anyone tell the year and model from the information I've provided??

I think the engine is from the early 90s, but im not sure. Strangly enough it didnt have the big red connector in the electrical system as all pre 95 models are supposed to have (isn't that right??). Instead the connecters on the engine is several smaller connecters, square and triangular shaped.

How do I use my evinrude remote control then?? It has the big red connector :eek: Propably I'll just have to order a repair manual and start checking the wiring diagrams....... :confused:

PS: As I'm Norwegian, you'll have to excuse my somewhat imperfect english:redface:

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sorry, one more serial question for you :)

your motor is 1998 or newer, due to the electrical connections. they make an adapter for it. a dealer can tell by the serial # G4113201, but they are not published, for the general public. welcome to iboats.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your English is a lot better than many American's that I see posted here.

You should see my Norwegian or whatever you speak there. Someday, I would like to visit your country.

morhua

Recruit

your motor is 1998 or newer, due to the electrical connections.

Not meaning to doubt your information, but this engine doesn't seem like a 1998 model to me. Both the top cover and general build seems older than 1998. Could it perhaps be that the previous owner have removed the red connector due to having a "new style" remote control, and installed the newer wiring harness on the engine??

But then again, I could be wrong. Nohing would be better than the engine beeing newer than i thought:)

So G4113201 is the serial number then?? Will try to contact some norwegian dealers and check the number...

F_R: thanks for good feedback on my english, hehe. Have a major in biology, so every damned schoolbook I've read on the university was in english. Apparently I've learned some of the language against all odds :)

Have a nice weekend folks.

morhua

Recruit
Re: sorry, serial question for you :) 70Hp, G4113201

DAMNED :mad::mad::mad:

No help from my local evinrude dealer!!

He said he could'nt help me with the engine based on the G4113201 serial, he needed the whole number supposed to be on the bracket. He didn't want to start looking for the model year and enginetype, would be to much job without the complete numbers. So now I'm stuck again......... Not exactly good customerservice......:mad:

Any of you american Evinrude friends that can help me a little more? Can anyone get some information regarding year and model on a 70hp outboard with serial# G4113201

ottertail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Johnson/Evinrude started using the mws wiring systems in 1996. There is an adaptor kit to adapt the new style engine connectors to a pre 1996 control box(big red connector). There were 2 kits actually 1 if you were installing a system check gauge its number is 176345 and a second one to adapt the engine not using the system check gauge its number is 176349. Now it is possible that the numbers have changed since the 07 acessory catalog but any dealer can work from these numbers. The year MAY be narrowed down if you post pictures of the hood. If it has not been repainted it would narrow the year range.

morhua

Recruit

hehe, it seems you guys are rigth, the engine seems to be a newer model than I anticipated.

It's a shame i bought the remote control before getting the engine, the previous owner said it was a 1993-94 model, but this obviously isnt correct.....

The engine has indeed a multi system check gauge tachometer, this I got delivered with the engine.

I have worked through the cables from the engine and narrowed it down.

On the Remote control box end of the MWS cable there are some connectors.

1 is triangulare, thats the tilt it seems, correct??

1 is small and square, with 2 pins?? Dont know what that is.

1 is big and square, with 8 or 10 pins, thats the systems check meter, correct?

Besides these, there are 6 loose wire ends (the cable have been cut. This is the ignition etc cables, correct??

Can't I just work out which is which and connect them directly to the interior of the remote?? Remove the original remotecable with the red plug and solder/screw the 6 loose cables from the MWS cable to the corresponding points inside the remote?? To me it seems that the colour codes from the MWS cable matches the colour codes on the old style red plug cable, shouldn't this be a easy job then??

Sorry for long post, but theres no help getting in this town, no wonder i order almost all my stuff from the US :)

EDIT: can post some pictures of the engine and hood tomorrow, its almost 02.00 at night now where I live:rolleyes: