Go Kart From PWC Engine?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I bought this beat up 1992 Polaris 650 for $50. Hull has been compromised but the engine may still have some snort left in her.

Any ideas if it is possible to convert the engine to run on land? Looks alot like the tripple I have in my Indy snowmobile. I want to build a go-kart or something with it. Thanks

MikDee

Banned
Re: Go Kart From PWC Engine?

Sure, but just watercool it! You'll need a radiator, & fan, But remember thats a lot of HP for a go cart! :eek: could be anywhere between 45-70 hp? You'll hafta gear it down, I think the rule of the thumb is 3, to 1, reduction? it can be done, but Good luck finding something to transfer the power, you'll need a clutch, & transmission of some type?

P.S. I'd say that thing should qualify for "Hot Wheels" status ;)

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sure, but just watercool it! You'll need a radiator, & fan, But remember thats a lot of HP for a go cart! :eek: could be anywhere between 45-70 hp? You'll hafta gear it down, I think the rule of the thumb is 3, to 1, reduction? it can be done, but Good luck finding something to transfer the power, you'll need a clutch, & transmission of some type?

P.S. I'd say that thing should qualify for "Hot Wheels" status ;)

I was thinking like a centerfugial clutch like a snomobile or John Deere Gator. Defiantely have to hook up a closed loop cooling system but I think this thing could fly.

MikDee

Banned

I don't know how a snowmobile, or tractor works, but a centrfigul clutch like a minibike, or go-cart, would give you no engine braking when you let off the throttle, with that much power on wheels, instead of ski's :eek: "Whoa Nellie!!!" I'd think a coventional clutch, or a type of torque converter, with a low stall speed might be better. Just think, that thing would be like a sport bike engine, a "crotchrocket" on roller skates :D I wonder how a go-cart would look, doing a wheelie!? :eek::D Wait, maybe a radiator, or cooling system like they have would work?