always check it yourself

Devious

Seaman
a few years back (i was 17, no boat launching experience), it was spring and my friends had a summer house on the lake. the mom, daughter and son, and some friends were up getting things ready, and the dad was still living at the regular house and coming up on weekends. so they ask me if my truck (F150) could launch the boat. no problem. so they said "we'll pull it out of the garage, can you pick it up, drive around to the private gated launch with us, and put it in?" no problem, i grab it, the security guy unlocked the launch, and i backed 'er in.

so i back in until she floats, and go to start the engine to pull away from the trailer. it wouldn't start. damn what it wrong with this thing. it turns over but won't catch. got gas? yup. sat there for 10 minutes trying to prime the thing and check the battery and all. all of a sudden i realize my feet were getting wet...inside the boat. ok we have a problem and are sinking. so i got the boat back over top of the trailer, and the winch on. thank goodness for 4-low. i could pull the boat and half of the lake up the ramp where it started to drain. the mom, sis and bro decided they better wait for dad to come up to launch the boat. so i tow it back home and park it in the garage for them.

a week later i found out what was wrong. the spark plugs had been pulled for winterizing, and of course the drain plug was out. Apartently the boat was not as ready for launching as I was told. that was the last time i did any mechanical favors for them without getting the dad's approval first!

rndn

Commander
Re: always check it yourself

I agree that there's no replacement for checking things out yourself.