OMC Bearing & Gimbal Sleeve Question

webjunk

Recruit
OK. The problem started with my steering locked up. I removed everything down to the gimbal ring. Now I need to remove the bearing and sleeve.
I moved the steering arm back out of the way. Found the thrush washer and there is a ring made of some composite or fiberglass stuck in there. Am presuming that ring is the Gimbal Sleeve. So if that is true where is the Bearing? The parts breakdown (from BRP) shows a bearing either inside or outside of the sleeve. But when the gimbal ring came off nothing else came off with it.
When you look at the BRP diagram the two parts are:
#49 Gimbal Sleeve Part
#63 Bearing Part
Not sure what I am missing or where this bearing goes. Rechecked the gimbal ring and there is nothing on it. Also since that ring (sleeve?) is stuck should it just be broken out?

1988 OMC Cobra Sterndrive 5.0 litre

Thanks....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Bearing & Gimbal Sleeve Question

The whole thing is the gimbal bearing. It comes apart. The small piece you took out is the bearing the other is the race.
Some people change just the insert.The whole thing should be replaced. Put the bearing back in and use a 3jaw puller and pull out the whole thing. DON'T!!!! break anything out you can do $$$$$$ lots of damage.
Make sure there is no snap rings in front of the race.There shouldn't be but look.When replacing make sure grease channel is located correctly.A special tool is made to install but it can be done,Since you have everthing off it will go in easy.Do it before you put aything back.Jerry

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

jerry...he isn't talking about the bearing that the driveshaft goes through. He is talking about the bearing at the top of the gimbal ring.

Once you remove the steering arm, the gimbal ring should then drop down...at least that is what the manual says.

webjunk

Recruit

Yes I did mean above the gimbal ring. Already got it off last week but needed to order and use the steering (tiller) arm puller from BRP to get it off. The issue now is i can see what i think is the sleeve but not the bearing. So not sure where the bearing is.. ANd not sure what is the right way to remove the sleeve that is stuck/sized to the top. Don't want to damage anything in the process. The service manual stopped short of anything past the pivot housing.