My experience importing a PWC from Montana USA to Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andronicus

Recruit
I just bought a new Kawasaki JetSki STX-15F in Montana, and imported it to Alberta. All said and done I saved $3952.70 on just the boat, plus, I saved on assesories. The dealer down there also gave me a full tank of gas (16 gallons or about 62L), and a fire extinguisher at no charge (dealers in the US try to take care of you unlike here in Canada where they try to nickel and dime you for everything).

A quick note. I bought my trailer in Canada. That will save you a lot of hassle. In the end, I don't think that you are likely to save much money by buying one down there anyway after paying the $200 inspection fee etc. I got a better trailer, used but lookes new, up here in Canada for about the same as it would be all said on done for a new one down there.

One more note. Montana has no State Sales Tax. Most stats that do, you can avoid it by brining in the appropriate form from the state's government showing that you are indeed a resident of Canada. (example for Washington State)

So here is the process required. The dealer needs you to supply an American address for warranty registration. I used my friends Dad's winter home in Florida. You need the dealer to give you a certificate of origin (the one I got was notorised, I hear someone say that this was important), a recall statment (showing that there are no outstanding recalls), and of course the bill of sale.

When you cross the boarder back into Canada, technically they should ask to see all 3 of those documents, but when I crossed they only wanted to see the bill of sale. They will charge you GST on the purchase price, and if applicable PST. Right now they are using an exchange rate of 1.00 for calculating GST, so it worked in my favour (the exchange rate was actually 1.045). Then I went to a Service Canada center with my bill of sale, the customs GST form, and a completed "Application for Pleasure Craft Licence". They gave me a licence number on the spot. Now all I have to do is put the licence number stickers on the hull.

Done like dinner. Super easy. It was only 10h of driving total, and I save $4000 on the boat alone. While down there we bought about $1400 of other stuff, saving probably $1000 on that, and only ended up paying the GST at the border. I think that at 1:00AM the customs agents did not want to have the hassle of calculating the duty on 100s of items. We had bought probably 100 items from Bath and Body Works plus quite a bit of other stuff. It would have taken probably an hour to figure out the duty, and most of it was made in the US anyway.

Moral of this story? Don't let Canadian dealers (or is it the manufacturers? not sure) rip you off!! 80% of Canadians live closer to the boarder than me, so it should be less driving. Keep you money in your pocket!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: My experience importing a PWC from Montana USA to Alberta Canada

i had the same experiance bringing my boat back from vegas.

just wanted the taxes....

where did you drive from calg?

Andronicus

Recruit

I drove from Calgary to Great Falls. My wife got a speeding ticket in Lethbridge on the way (only $50), and I hit a deer in Lethbridge on the way back (I had slowed down alot, no damage to the van, just some fur lodged in the bumper).

PS. don't go to Starbucks in Lethbridge, it is extreamly slow.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you imagine the headache if you need warranty repair ?

Bigprairie1

Commander

I think this is becoming more and more common. I recently bought my truck out the U.S and it was a successful and good deal all in all.;)
You're right (to some degree) about the Canadian dealers. However a lot of that is changing. They know now they are competing daily with U.S bound shoppers and are lowering their prices as much as they can.:eek:
Often you just have to mention heading south to shop and they 'trim it' up a bit. Always ask for a better deal....or walk. If you are serious about buying and they are serious about selling then usually they will give you a call back.
I don't mind shopping locally but the numbers have to wash out on a reasonable level to make it worth my while. :cool:
My two bits.
BP:)

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Can you imagine the headache if you need warranty repair ?

Sounds like a Canadian dealer "scare tactic" to me. :eek:

Most come with a international warranties. Contact the manufacture & report them if the local licensed dealer refuses to honor it. In Germany the dealers also tried this method, and many ended up loosing their authorized franchise. :D

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it ?
Why do you think he needed US address for warranty registration ?
Read the fine print on Canadian /US warranty - this is no Europe (btw I'm European living here 20years)
I have this experience first hand with my Dodge Sprinter van.
Chrysler Canada refuses to do any warranty work on the vehicle over $100
Friend of mine purchased from US Honda outboard
Same thing - No warranty by Honda Canada

If you don't value your time you got great deal but I wouldn't do it again my self unless I get warranty coverage or live within 45min from the dealer.
I would be rather fishing :)

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Does it ?
Why do you think he needed US address for warranty registration ?
Read the fine print on Canadian /US warranty - this is no Europe (btw I'm European living here 20years)
I have this experience first hand with my Dodge Sprinter van.
Chrysler Canada refuses to do any warranty work on the vehicle over $100
Friend of mine purchased from US Honda outboard
Same thing - No warranty by Honda Canada

If you don't value your time you got great deal but I wouldn't do it again my self unless I get warranty coverage or live within 45min from the dealer.
I would be rather fishing :)

Yea it does.

Here they have to honor the warranty and do the service as long as that product is also sold in the country.

Auto manufactures were selling identical cars at as much as a 50% discount, within a hundred miles of each other across country lines. People were also buying new cars and going on vacation only for them to break down, and the dealers refusing to service them because they were not bought from them. They were gouging the owners of these new cars with outrageous repair bills.

The big lawsuits started with VW, the biggest offender, when they lost, the dealers tried to continue to pull this scam on VW's customers. This is when VW started to take their dealer franchises away. The lawsuit set a precedent and many followed in the industry, this now includes the motorcycle/ATV sector.

In a free-market economy, market protectionism has no place.

Maybe it is time for a little consumer action on your part.

On the other hand it really doesn't matter to me, as long as I can still drive to Canada for cheap pharmaceuticals. ;)

I do feel bad that these international companies are treating "you", one of their customers like this though. :(

As far as the comment about having a dealer within 45minutes of you, I am with you on that one. No local dealer, no sale, but I will choose where I purchase, not the company. If they try to force me to pay more than others have to for the same product, I will just never buy from them again.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is example of warranty from the official Yamaha website:

Q. Can I import/export a new Yamaha?
A. It is not recommended that you import or export a new Yamaha product. Yamaha products meet strict compliance regulations for the country in which it was originally intended. In addition, the Yamaha factory warranty is not transferable between countries.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

>>>>>>>

Last edited:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Oh, I don't doubt your word in the least bit.

I am sure that is what most manufactures have written in their warranties for the States. I am just not sure if it would hold up, if heavily challenged in courts and pushed to a decision. This is the same language that was used in European warranties, and was shot down in Europe.

These multi-national companies lobby our governments to be allowed to trade their goods across country borders, while at the same time try to forbid their customers the same rights afforded them. Unfortunately their government lobbyist are better paid, than yours and mine.

Granted in the EU, it is much easier to cross a border with the size of the countries being so small in comparison to the U.S. and Canada, but the principle is the same. Free trade between countries, for all. There are people here who live in small towns on the border, with the next large city being within minutes across the border. To reach the next dealer in their country they may have to drive several hours. This is just one of the many reasons they made these types of warranties invalided, or better said, not worth the paper the are written on.

The courts after years of fighting, just said what is good for the company, is good for the consumer. That means you and me!

Equal rights for companies and citizens alike. Our countries exist for the people, not for the company, no matter how much the hot shots in Washington are being paid to think otherwise.

I hope this is not taken to be a political posting, it has nothing to do with any particular government or party. It is about free trade, and a companies responsibility to stand behind it's products if it wants to market it's products on a global scale.

P.S. I bought a Honda motorcycle 25+ years ago that was a European model, imported to Canada, and then to the States, where I bought it. I never had any problems with my local dealer, although parts at times, took awhile to get, they always acted happy to see me and the exotic (to them) machine.

Progress on the consumer rights front, has not moved forward much in North America I see. It has gotten worse. Perhaps it will change for the better. Good luck with your import.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow..., you are stubborn man !
I guess Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki .... they are all just "kidding" and trying to discourage warranty claims. I guess you would just ask them to add your serial number to the database and they will fix it for free - Yeah rihgt - I wouldn't wish to try :)

Andronicus

Recruit

I believe that the warranty issue is valid. The dealer I bought if from made me believe that I would have to go to a US dealer to get warrenty work.

But the $4000 I saved is half of what I paid. I don't think that it is possible to need $4000 of warrenty work. So who cares. And if I did, it is still only a day trip to the dealer. Plus, I regularly vacation in Osoyoos BC, wich is less than 2h from a dealer in Washington State.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

... if the dealer assisted you willingly with the warranty he committed fraud,
also good reason to have his contract revoked by Kawa :)

Andronicus

Recruit

How is that fraud? He made sure that I was aware of the warrenty issues, and set up a contact address so that recall info would eventualy reach me (even if very slowly). Don't think that is fraud.

Unelss Kawasaki has made him sign a contract stating that he will not sell to non US residents. Only then would it be. And even then, it may just be breach of contract, not fraud.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

They did :)
Fraud since another address ( not the buyers) was listed to get the warranty
and he knew that the PWC will be exported.
Couldn't care less, just added this details since you asked.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

A co-worker just drove down to Buffalo and bought a brand spankin new Honda Ridgeline a few months ago. He saved about 10 grand all told, even after paying the taxes back home here.

The deal on warranty as told to him was Honda Canada wouldn't honour anything that wasn't an outright recall. In that case it's safety and a Canadian dealer has no choice. Anything else and he's SOL. Doesn't care though, and frankly, neither would I. Anything major and he's gladly paying a couple hundred to tow it back down there since we're only 90 minutes from the border. Besides, it's a Honda...:D

His challenge was finding a dealer that would even sell to Canadians. I think he emailed six US dealers within 30 minutes of the border, was ignored by three, turned down by two (against corporate "policy" or some hooey), but these last folks just said, "Sure! We sell to you Canucks all the time." They arranged the paperwork with the US border people for him and it all went lickety split.

Once back in Canada he had to get a daytime running light circuit installed to be legal on Canadian roads and so just called up Honda. They asked for his VIN whereupon the runaround started. Basically they refused to make the alteration becuase it was a US vehicle. Finally he went aftermarket at a local garage for a hundred bucks or so. Follow the logic? A part Honda makes specifically for Canadian vehicles they won't sell to a Canadian so he can use the vehicle in Canada...

Of course, the biggest irony in all of this is the country of manufacture....Yeah....the truck was made right here in Alliston, Ontario...about an hour north of our office... :rolleyes:

Now the weasels are starting to come around. The newspapers are full of ads whereupon the dealers are falling all over themselves announcing price drops, special financing rates. I think BMW was even giving retroactive rebates to some customers.

Buying vehicles in the US has gotten a lot of media play up here since the dollars evened up. Apparently thousands are doing it every month. Looks good on the Canadian subsidiaries. The almighty customer has spoken!

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even stranger is that if you purchase Honda vehicle in Ontario they will let you sign paper that you will NOT export it to the USA :)

BF

Lieutenant

I purchased a new merc outboard from a dealer in Minnesota. Merc USA had a promo going that they'd give you a 5 year warranty at no charge instead of the the standard 3 year warranty. The dealer gave me the choice, I could register it to a US address and get the 5 year warranty, or register it to me at my Canadian address and get the 3 year warranty. I told him I'd let him know.

I called Merc canada and asked whether the warranty for a US bought outboard is valid in Canada, they immediately said yes, but you won't get the 5 year promo warranty currently on in the states, other than that no problem.

I called the dealer back and told him to register to me here, and I'd live with a 3 year warranty (which is what I would've got if I purchased it here anyway). I didn't want to worry about any future warranty work being questioned because of the motor being registered to a US address. Within 2 months, I received a letter from Merc Canada confirming the registration of my warranty, and a recall notice to bring it in for inspection for loose bolts. So, I'm glad that this stuff is being sent to me, and not to some US address that I might have used.

My motor (25 hp) cost me a total of ~$3200 including a prop and tax at the border. Locally it would've been ~$5200.

Status
Not open for further replies.