25 HP Merc -- weirdest problem; floods?

Roger93

Recruit
First post here :) I know a bit in small engines and whatnot...

Its on a pontoon boat... 25HP Merc, 4 stroke, its about 3 or 4 years old...

Long story short, the motor starts first shot, really nicely, Then it stalls very shortly after.

To get it started, you need to have the motor turning for a little while, keeping the accelerator at FULL THROTTLE, in the neutral position. If it doesn't start...

HERES THE WEIRD PART THAT ALWAYS WORKS:

If I unplug the gas from the motor, give it full throttle, it will start relatively quickly. Then I have to quickly release the throttle, and quickly put it into drive, giving it a good shot of throttle to keep it going. Once it's revving slightly, I can hook the gas back up, and go as long as I want, full throttle. As soon as I go lower throttle, it stalls.

When it stalls, you can see the fuel colour in the water. Same goes for when I try and start the motor and it just turns, but doesnt start. Fuel is visible in the water. I remove the fuel line from the motor, and the fuel in the water is no longer visible, and the motor starts right up with a full throttle start, almost as if it was flooded. The gas tank is fully ventilated, and has no pressure in it.

I hope I explained this properly, and any and all answers are greatly appreciated.

It was brought to the dealer, and they did a "tune up". The problem still persists this year, with absolutely no differences from last year.

Last edited: