1956 evinrude motor 3hp

jmoney42o

Recruit
my motor wont recoil and i was wondering if it was a spring or something easy i can pull the string but it wont recoil thanks :mad:

sprattoo

Cadet
Re: 1956 evinrude motor 3hp

I love these motors and have a pile of them for parts outside my garage. The recoils on those suckers are a HUGE pain in the fanny to recoil the spring once you open them up. But what else are you going to do when you pull it over and the rope stays out?

If you pull the whole top assembly off the motor... without dismantling the recoil itself does the rope recoil back in when you pull it out?

I have run into this issue before on those recoils though and what you may find inside of the recoil is that the little "post" that the end of that spring sets on is worn, or broken off to some degree. The spring itself may have broken off the post too. Either way the spring isn't doing its function of pulling the cord back in if it isn't held in place or has let go.

If the spring seems to be still in tact in there and functioning and you can do anything to avoid pulling that spring out, do it. You may just be lucky and find that the catches and moving parts need some lubricating. Greasing that spring inside the recoil is also a good idea..... if you can do it without the whole thing popping out at you.;)