1989 OMC 262 APRMED Gimbal Assembly

Roboat

Cadet
Hello to all
Does anyone have or know from experience how many Thrust washers are used between the lower support bracket and the Gimbal. My original shop manual shows 1 but the kit comes with 3. The manuals diagram also leaves out two seals that are installed in the Gimbal where the lower steering Pivot shaft goes through.
The attached exploded view is from a WEB site. This picture shows two additional Thrust Washers under the Gimbal ring. The manual I have does not.
Sorry if this seems over wordy but I would appreciate any help before proceeding with the rest of the assembly
Thanks

Attachments

• omc4 3 transom.jpg
    omc4 3 transom.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 OMC 262 APRMED Gimbal Assembly

My original shop manual shows 1 but the kit comes with 3.

You do mean an OMC manual, not a Seloc or Clymers aftermarket manuals don't you.

Not sure which ones you are talking about, but the (OEM) manual may explain they are shims and you need to use the proper ones to get the proper amount of movement.
You also missed some numbers in front of your APRMED model number.

Roboat

Cadet

The Manual I am using is an OMC manual. It is a 1989 omc 4.3 liter Cobra.
The number I posted was from the front of the parts section, a separate book also OMC. The Model number plates are unreadable.
The shop OMC manual does not mention putting these two additional Thrust washers under the gimbal ring on the lower pivot shaft. I will add some arrows to the diagram I posted to indicate the Thrust Washers in question.

Roboat

Cadet

OMC 4.3 Liter Cobra 4 Barrel
I have attached a picture with some arrows indicating the additional thrust washers in question. The transom seal kit I bought came with five of these thrust washers. Three are shown in the original OMC shop manual I am using. Two are not. I found some other pictures of OMC transom assemblies that like the one attached show two extra being installed. Was this an upgrade?

Hope the Picture helps

Attachments

• omc transom with arrows.JPG
    omc transom with arrows.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I Don't do OMCs,..
But,....
I gotta believe that somewhere in that Manual, it xplains how to shim it,+ Where to Measure it....
Usually you're given More shims than necessary, because of the Unknown Shim Measurements,+ wear tolerances.....

Roboat

Cadet

I agree Bond-o
I have been through this manual over and over looking for a hint. I even tried looking at some of the pictures with a Magnifier.
I just hate to proceed with assembly without knowing for sure if this was a modification.
Bayliners had the same setup, 4.3 liter Cobra.

Thanks for the feedback

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a section out of the Volvo SX manual that shows how to shim the gimbal ring.
The SX transom shield is the same thing as the OMC Cobras but started in 94 with OMC and Volvo doing a joint venture thing till Volvo bought them out completely around 98. I don't have a Cobra manual, but I would think there is something showing that rear support shimming.

SXGimbalringinstall.png

Roboat

Cadet

Thank You Don S
This is very interesting and it makes sense, perhaps these Thrust Washers eroded and fell off. Just from looking at the actual parts, leaving a large gap between the support bracket and the bottom of the gimbal doesnt make sense. Now that I have some reference, I will see how it looks assembled up to the point mentioned in the Similar SX manual.
Great place you have here
Thanks again