beaching a boat

Andy in NY

Commander
First of all, sorry about the 10,000 questions from me!

Okay, so the lake we boat on (Chateaugay Lake, Upstate NY) has what everyone seems to be calling "the sand bar". When I go by it, I am in a channel that is around 7ft. I can visably see weeds sticking out from the surface of the water all around this area. Some of the boats I've seen beached there were substantially larger than mine (a few pontoons, even a 20-something cuddy).

Here's my question. I do NOT have power tilt and trim. What is (if any) the best way to navigate through really shallow water over to it?

Also, what is the best way to beach a boat in terms of the motor (outboard)?

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: beaching a boat

Is it rocky bottom or sandy? I would probably just ease up to it slowly and constantly monitor the depth of the water... Watch behind you and in front of you. If you start to get too shallow you will see sand and mud kicking up in your prop wash. If you get in a spot your not comfortable with kill the motor and walk your boat to deeper water... Or you could get off when you hit about 3 feet of water and walk it on.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I had a 20' Stingray that I use to beach,,,,,,,until a hidden rock ended up bashing a hole in the hull. The wave action from wind and other boats will hammer the bottom of your boat against whatever is underneath it. The hole was only about the size of a dime, but it caused the bilge pump to run every 10 minuets. It was an old boat and the hole was easy to repair since I didn't really care what the repair looked like.

Since that day forward, I don't beach any boat. Pontoons are much easier to beach since the length is long enough usually to keep the prop out of the mud/sand/rocks.

To be able to take advantage of locations like you described, I now anchor in 3 to 4' of water. This way any wave action is not going to hammer my bow/hull down on another unsuspecting rock under the mud/sand. Good luck........SS

BTW, my boat also does not allow the outdrive to be raised like a Mercruiser. That in itself will limit the shallow places that I can get into.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what we do, is drop anchor, 100 ft of line, then back in toward the beach, when in 3-4 feet of water we tie off the bow line, some one jumps in an walks a stern anchor 75 ft or so to shore, and bury the tines of the anchor. this way the boat stays steady, and other boats can anchor along side, using the same technique. there were about 700 boats around the sand bar (we call disappearing island) memorial day, all using the same system.

rdny041285

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that happened at peanut island for memorial day....wicked busy.

Nandy

Commander

I tend to beach my boat (15 footer) in sand bottoms just to let the family out. I rather use my 2 anchors to keep the boat off the sandbar. In reality, if you are beaching in sand only you should be ok, although after many many years of that your keel will loose its gelcoat.

Bondo

Staff member

I do NOT have power tilt and trim. What is (if any) the best way to navigate through really shallow water over to it?

Ayuh,....

Manually lift the Motor,+ Paddle..........;)

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could always try going in with the boat planed out.... A lot less boat in the water that way. :)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I do it exactly like TD does and so do most people around here...

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to see this thread, I almost asked the same question. Going out with the family the other Sunday, temps in the low 90's and my wife wanted to beach on a sandbar "like everybody else" and go swimming with the kids. But I only have power tilt, no trim and I was afraid of chewing up my prop. So we'd get into 3' of water and I'd go get the anchor. But the wind was so strong that day it kept blowing the boat back to deep water. Was kind of comical in a 3 Stooges sorta way. Need to adopt that 2-anchor system that TD described.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

windy days you have to use more line. also in that case, you could have anchored, bow to the beach. they main purpose for the second anchor, is to keep the boat from swinging on the single anchor.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks TD. Think I need to get a better anchor-- I have a little 7lb one I got with the boat-- it's not very effective. Would probably make a good secondary anchor tho.

trouttamer

Cadet

andy i live in that area and frequently boat and fish on chat. lake.
getting to the sand bar is no problem at all, you can go either side of the small island to get there. hopfully there will be a space for your boat, just cruise in and lift your engine manually. i do not reccomend trying to get to the sand bar from the small channel on the south side of the sand bar. also when in that channel heading into the main lake stay between the buoys, as you will run a ground port side or run onto boulders starboard.

have fun up there. and sometimes the dec officers or sheriffs patrol are up there as well on their jet skis

Andy in NY

Commander

andy i live in that area and frequently boat and fish on chat. lake.
getting to the sand bar is no problem at all, you can go either side of the small island to get there. hopfully there will be a space for your boat, just cruise in and lift your engine manually. i do not reccomend trying to get to the sand bar from the small channel on the south side of the sand bar. also when in that channel heading into the main lake stay between the buoys, as you will run a ground port side or run onto boulders starboard.

have fun up there. and sometimes the dec officers or sheriffs patrol are up there as well on their jet skis
Thanks for the advice. I also sent you a private message.

We were there last sunday, and it seemed there was almost as many boats beached at the sand bar than were on the lake! it was fathers day, and we saw one bass boat fishing, a few pontoons and about 5 boats beached. No sign of DEC or sherrif... btw, is it clinton co sherrif patroling there?

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm thinking about getting an ANCHOR BUDDY. Has anyone tried them? Do they work OK?