Accuracy of beam measurement

cmartin

Cadet
Do any of you experienced boaters have any idea how accurate mfr stated beam dimensions are? I may have found the IDEAL boat for our first boat but it's out of my area and based on the mfr stated beam it's VERY close to fitting (or not fitting) in my garage door opening.

I was hoping that it's not uncommon for manufacturers to conservatively overstate this dim (at least by an inch or so). Or am I dreaming?

I'm going to have the seller measure, but I'm not sure how accurately they could measure the beam without some work.

If it matters, the boat is a Wellcraft 180 Sportsman bowrider.

Thanks again....Chris.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Accuracy of beam measurement

I was hoping that it's not uncommon for manufacturers to conservatively overstate this dim (at least by an inch or so). Or am I dreaming?

Ayuh,....

Beam is usually Dead On...

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Beam measurement is always correct..its LOA that gets fudged a tad....Rounded up to the next higher #.But you can do what every sane boater does...tear down the garage, re-build to suit the boat,after all, its all about the boat !!

tommays

Admiral

Well

My 19' boats beam is narrow compared to the width of the trailer wheels and fenders ;) so if your that tight i would be checking the trailer :eek:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah your problem will probably be the trailer as it will be wider then the boat.

How wide is your garage? The average one car garage is 9' wide and 7' high.

cmartin

Cadet

It's a super roomy garage, but the builder likes the "style" of two 8' doors instead of a big double door. I'm asking for max width measurements from the few sellers I've talked to (all of whom are not in my state).

Marine...you joke, but I have already started strategizing mods to the garage framing to steal a few extra inches. And alas, I've got calls in to boatyards for pricing too. It's just that going that route adds "spousal approval complexity". It was one thing to have a cheap boat at the ready in the garage. Now it's a big fancy boat stored at a boatyard. Guess it's time to turn on the charm...or start pouting.

Chris

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice

I would suspect that your trailer may be 8'6" wide. That is commonly the maximum width for towed loads before they become over-dimensioned loads. If your boat has an 8' beam, it will, most likely be on a trailer of this size.

Trev

cmartin

Cadet

The good news: Found the boat I want and it has exactly 8' wide trailer (only 1" wider than the beam of the boat).

The bad news: My garage opening is 1.5" narrower than that.

I feel like the butt of a cruel joke. Wonder if I go in at an angle????? Hmmm.....Or maybe I could make a removable section of garage door jamb on either side that I can pop off to get 'er in and out and pop back on when done...Mark my words....I WILL get that boat in the garage.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The good news: Found the boat I want and it has exactly 8' wide trailer (only 1" wider than the beam of the boat).

I feel like the butt of a cruel joke. Wonder if I go in at an angle????? Hmmm.....Or maybe I could make a removable section of garage door jamb on either side that I can pop off to get 'er in and out and pop back on when done...Mark my words....I WILL get that boat in the garage.

Sounds like the perfect problem for a BFH! :D

BF

Lieutenant

what type of butthead builder would build garages with less than an 8' door opening?? Even if you did get it to squeeze in, it will always be a PITA, and at the risk of scraping up the door frame/fender/rub rail etc... Really, you might want to consider solving the problem for good... convert to one big door. You'd need a header, the door, new opener and probably need to re-finish the siding or whatever on that exterior wall. But, you'd be happy every time you back your boat in! You might be able to get some $$ for your current doors and openers.

Nandy

Commander

what type of butthead builder would build garages with less than an 8' door opening?? Even if you did get it to squeeze in, it will always be a PITA, and at the risk of scraping up the door frame/fender/rub rail etc... Really, you might want to consider solving the problem for good... convert to one big door. You'd need a header, the door, new opener and probably need to re-finish the siding or whatever on that exterior wall. But, you'd be happy every time you back your boat in! You might be able to get some $$ for your current doors and openers.

DITTO, but if you live in a HOA community check with them first... Some HOA are a pain in the behind. I know, I bought a house in a comy HOA governed community due to my kids momma wanted it there. I should have got a house in the country back then.... HOA never, ever again!!!!
Sorry for the rant...

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Your current dilemma is exactly why I put 10 foot wide doors in my garage. Figure a 8'6 wide trailer into a 9 foot door.............that only leaves 3 inches per side wiggle room.:eek::eek:

Willyclay

Captain

My neighbor built a $20K garage to comply with the HOA requirements for boat storage.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now would be the perfect opportunity to plead for that storage shed / barn style exterior garage you always wanted...My business is building,and your in luck,'cause this week i'm running a sale....$125 sq.ft.....:D:D:D

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

What does your garage look like?

Is it a wood framed structure or block?

If it's wood it really wouldn't be that hard to make it a 16' opening.

It's basicly just jack/ support the roof and throw a header in there.

As for your opener if it's 1/2 hp that's all you need for a 16' door so you'll actually have a spare.

One of the companies I sub off of is a garage door company. I do all there frame in's of old chin busters etc.

Post some pics.