1987 Johnson 30hp starter motor problem

CBULL

Cadet
Hi all,

I took the boat out and tried starting it and starter motor starter drive assemblie stuck in the up position. The starter will turn over, but won?t release and go back to the down position. Is it the solenoid sticking or something in the starter motor it's self?

I have another question too. I recently bought a 1994 8hp Johnson motor for trolling and was wondering where I could find out the correct fuel mix ratio?

Thanks in advance

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 Johnson 30hp starter motor problem

Howdy, CBULL.

Does the bendix gear stay up even after the engine starts, or does the engine not start? When the engine starts the flywheel should force the bendix back down the shaft. Carefully check the alignment of the starter motor to the flywheel.

Your Johnny 8 uses a 50:1 mix.

CBULL

Cadet

The motor doesn't start. I had it in the shop they rebuilt the carb, but the motor still will not start with out priming it. If I can get it started it will run well until it needs to be started again.

Thanks again

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what exactly are your starting procedures, step by step?? this may be the problem. could just be human error.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

CBULL

Cadet

Starting procedure

1. Pump the ball on the gas line to get some fuel up to the motor.
2. Make sure Motor is in neutral, open choke all the way turn key. Try this several times.
3. Motor won?t start, so I use some engine starting spry to prim the motor. This will get the motor running for a few seconds, do this several times until motor will run on it?s own. It will run fine until I need to start it again.

Please help!!