Converting to thru hull exhaust

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at an old twin engine Wellcraft. It has twin 305's with the exhaust exiting through the drive. I know drilling the holes and running the exhaust hose is the easy part. What I'm worried about is how to block off the old exhaust system so I don't flood the boat. Has anyone ever done this? The only reason I want to do this is just because I want to, and I like the way it sounds. Thanks for the help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Converting to thru hull exhaust

Ayuh,....

You either go to a Switchable exhaust,....
Or,...
Pull the motors, remove the Y-pipe,+ install a block off plate....

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Damn, thats sucks. I was hoping for a cheap easy way. Ok, thanks

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I accomplished what you want to do. All I did was take the "Y" pipe off and traced out the pattern onto a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum to make a blank off plate. Used a new gasket/sealer and no leaks. Having the engine out also helps in drilling the holes thru the transom with the engine out. Just be sure to mark the areas first where the holes need to be. Yep, its a PITA, but worth the effort IMO.......Good Luck....SS

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It's kind of a hack fix, but I have seen people just install rubber caps on the top of the y-pipe. Of course this only works, if the y-pipe is not in the way of your new exhaust routing.

MikDee

Banned

Sure, I would say a couple of 3", or 4", rubber plumbing (waste line) caps with double hose clamps on each one, ought to do the trick!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I accomplished what you want to do. All I did was take the "Y" pipe off and traced out the pattern onto a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum to make a blank off plate. Used a new gasket/sealer and no leaks. Having the engine out also helps in drilling the holes thru the transom with the engine out. Just be sure to mark the areas first where the holes need to be. Yep, its a PITA, but worth the effort IMO.......Good Luck....SS

you do know they sell block off plates, right?