4.3L 1986 OMC Studder or hesitaion

SteveDavis

Seaman
Hi all,

I am having hesitaion problems with my boat. I onw a '86 Crestliner with a 4.3L Chevy engine and OMC Cobra outdrive. When I "gun it," often it hesitates. This does not always happen but most of the time. If I slowly speed up I usually do not have a problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would love to hear your ideas, as I would love to be able to pull people skiing.

Thanks,
Steve

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 4.3L 1986 OMC Studder or hesitaion

That has the Rochester 2GC carb.The accelerator pump rod may need adjustment are its time for a carb rebuild.
A factory OMC manual will walk you through it.
The Seloc or Clymers manuals don't get very detailed on the carb info.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That has the Rochester 2GC carb.The accelerator pump rod may need adjustment are its time for a carb rebuild.
A factory OMC manual will walk you through it.
The Seloc or Clymers manuals don't get very detailed on the carb info.
Here is a very rare original manual.Worth every penny.
I had a 1987 and that manual save me many times..:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...62QQcategoryZ26453QQihZ010QQitemZ200231664801

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST...Not sure how that happened.

SteveDavis

Seaman

Don't worry about the double post. I actually purchased the same manual, from the same seller, last year. I will look it up soon. I also bought a Seloc, just to help me, as I am not a mechanic. How hard is a carb rebuild or cleaning? What do you think about it being a ESA module problem?

SteveDavis

Seaman

So, what do you think about it being a fuel filter or filters? I have been doing some reading in my Seloc manual and they point the finger to fuel filters first. I am going to replace them anyhow, cheap and easy. I will consider the carb thing this summer, if not in the fall. Do you know is there some sort of kit I should be looking for? I am going to start searching on Monday night into Tuesday. Any tips would be great.

Thanks again.
steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are getting a lean condition when you gun it...that is just the nature of carbs. To try to get around that sudden lean condition, an accelerator pump is used. Yours may not be squirting enough fuel in.

With the engine off, look down the throat of the carb and have some one open the throttle. You should see a solid squirt of fluid enter the carb throat.

More than likely, changing the fuel filters won't help this condition as obviously you have plenty of fuel at high speed or when you push the throttle forward slowly. Good to change them annually anyway so go ahead and do that.