New to the Forum!@

Gmata

Recruit
Hello Guys i am new to Boating and new to the forum.

I have my first question for you guys.

I'am currently deployed to South west Asia with the Airforce and i am returning home in about 2 weeks.

My parents live in La Paz Baja Mexico and i am going there as soon as i get back.

I found a boat about on craigslist about 1 hour from La Paz, its a small 15 ft. Smokercraft Alaskan Deluxe. It has Yamaha 4 stroke 25 HP engine. the whole thing has less than 20 hours of use.

What i want to know is if its a good idea to buy that boat i think i am getting it at a good price, but i want to know if it would be good for Baja, the weather during the summer is usually really good very calm seas with no wind i wanted mostly for trolling along the coast and snorkeling.

Thanks

Gonzalo M.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to the Forum!@

There are tons of stories about people drowning in boats much bigger than that in the Sea of Cortez.

A chibasco (strong off-shore wind) can come up out of nowhere and you'll either end up with your boat on the bottom or on the mainland.

I would say that because of little freeboard, the boat would only be good for snorkeling in the coves or very close to the shore.

Sounds like a ton of fun, but your inexperience coupled with the ocean sounds like trouble. If you do get it, remember, always play it safe out there:cool:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

First off I'm with 12vMan, that would be a little small for me.:eek::eek: Second, is the Yammie a salt water series?? It may not be necessary but would be nice.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

So you are the short stick guy? Congratulations!

Check the local area where you want to use a boat. Pay close attention to who really takes them out and those who use them to "just look good". Size is no indication of seaworthiness or sea kindlyness. A North Sea skiff handles severe blows better than most modern 30 to 50 foot cabin cruisers.

Buy what the locals who make a living with them have confidence in.