Stainless Prop worth it (for my boat)?

1981 Johnson 90 HP pushing a 15 ft fish-n-ski of the same vintage. Typical loaded weight is around 1300 pounds. Current prop is aluminum 13.25 x 17, don't know the manufacturer (might be the original 'factory' prop). At WOT I get 43 mph at 5600 RPM, and it's got a good hole-shot. While I can't complain about my boat's performance as is I'm wondering what I might expect out of a moderately priced stainless prop. Also, if I make the change should I keep the 17 inch pitch or go with 19 inch pitch because of reduced drag of the stainless prop.

Senderofan

Seaman
Re: Stainless Prop worth it (for my boat)?

I can't give you advice on what to do....I can share my recent experience. ..I've got an aluminum fish and ski boat 18 1/2 ft. It's a deep, wide boat. Fully dressed with the kicker, main motor (150 hp two stroke) electric trolling motor etc. I'm probably 1000 lbs heavier than you...@ 2300 lbs. My original prop was a 14.25" 21 pitch aluminum prop. With just me in the boat and the motor trimmed up to the point of maximum speed...I was turning 5400 rpm with GPS showing speed of @ 46.5 mph. I was given advice from this site...I purchased a 14.25" stainless prop with a 19 pitch. The boat being the same as when I ran it with the aluminum prop....except my wife and two kids were with.....we ran 50 to 50.5 mph per same gps and my WOT rpm's now are 5600-5700 (It was hard to get a precise read...between the boat traffic and my bifocals...It was reading right in the 5600 to just a hair more.) My engine is rated for 5600rpm max.

I'm not sure what a 19 pitch aluminum would have done for me...but this stainless is awesome. It really seems to bite well....my bow is up quick and I'm on plane much faster than the other prop....which looked flawless...so I think it's the difference in pitch and prop material and design.

You'll have to seek advice from the experts here....and know what your max rpm is for your motor....but I can say I'm extremely satisfied with my investment.

Good Luck,

Wayne

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stainless Prop worth it (for my boat)?

Also, if I make the change should I keep the 17 inch pitch or go with 19 inch pitch because of reduced drag of the stainless prop.

It works just the opposite. The SS bites better so you may need to drop down in pitch if anything, not up.

I'm running a Renagade 4 blade on my 200HP and use a 3 blade aluminum as a back-up. The SS performs better but not 3 times the price better.

It shore do look pur-tee tho :D