U.S.C.G. - Flotation Material & Installation Requirements

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
U.S. Coast Guard - Flotation Material & Installation Requirements

a) Air Chambers

Air chambers shall maintain their integrity under pre-test conditioning and under flotation test conditions. They shall not leak when subjected to an internal air pressure test and shall not allow the ingress of water when submerged to at least a depth equal to that required in the flotation test.

b) Plastic Foam Blocks and Other Shapes

1) A method of identifying foam blocks and other shapes must be employed to assure that each boat gets the correct amount of flotation in the correct location.

2) Expanded polystyrene foam must not come in contact with uncured polyester resin or fumes.

3) Foam blocks and other shapes must be secured so that no movement in any direction occurs that will effect the flotation's performance.

4) Installation must be in a manner that will prevent:
damage from occupant contact
deterioration from exposure to direct sunlight
damage from normal use of the boat.

5) The space provided for the installation of foam blocks must be large enough to prevent the necessity of using force that will deform the shape of the block during the installation process. Deformation will lower the volume, and therefore the total buoyancy, of the foam block.

c) Sprayed or Poured Liquid Mix

1) When liquid flotation material is installed directly in place, constraints must be provided in the form of bulkheads, boxes or dams to ensure the proper volume, and to ensure that the centers of buoyancy are correctly placed.

2) Clearance around, and passages through, the foam should be provided for:
routing controls, cables and wires;
access to windshield fasteners, cleat and chock fasteners, rail
fasteners, ventilation ducts, other deck hardware and standard fittings;
bilge drainage;
drainage of the top of metallic fuel tanks.

uscgboating.org

erikgreen

Captain
Re: U.S.C.G. - Flotation Material & Installation Requirements

You missed the good part:

The posted information is for manufacturers of recreational boats who must comply with the applicable regulations. Depending upon boat type, engine, length, usage, etc., a regulation (and corresponding guide) may, or may not, be applicable.​
While we encourage recreational boat owners to use the information for their benefit, compliance with the regulations is the responsibility of the boat manufacturers.​
Potential manufacturers, or importers, of recreational boats must contact the USCG, Boating Safety Division, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division at 202-372-1073 and request a Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) form.​

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

You missed the good part:

The posted information is for manufacturers of recreational boats who must comply with the applicable regulations. Depending upon boat type, engine, length, usage, etc., a regulation (and corresponding guide) may, or may not, be applicable.​
While we encourage recreational boat owners to use the information for their benefit, compliance with the regulations is the responsibility of the boat manufacturers.​
Potential manufacturers, or importers, of recreational boats must contact the USCG, Boating Safety Division, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division at 202-372-1073 and request a Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) form.​

No Erik, I didn't.

While we encourage recreational boat owners to use the information for their benefit ...

If you are going to rebuild a boat, you might as well do it right.

As you see, there is more than one way to float your boat. :D

erikgreen

Captain

Yep... and it's legal for us non-manufacturers to do it right, we don't have to do it the way the legislators want us to.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Yep... and it's legal for us non-manufacturers to do it right, we don't have to do it the way the legislators want us to.

Tell that to the guys in the outboard overpowering thread. :D

My personal version of right, is not to use "Sprayed or Poured Liquid Mix" flotation foam.

I do like legal for non-manufacturers “Air Chambers”.

Maybe I could post a “Erik's legal for non-manufacturers list of preferred methods”, but I haven't found that one yet. Can you help. :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i hear ya on the poured or sprayed stuff......

but some times its structural.

but there was just a post in general.....a guy redid his deck.....yarded out all the wet foam....never replaced it......and hooked his hull so bad he could only troll or the boat would nose dive and pull hard to the left....

he replaced the foam....and good as new.....

id rather jeave the junk out all togeather and have pfds handy...but some times...there is no other way :mad:

cheers
oops

erikgreen

Captain

Code:
Maybe I could post a ?Erik's legal for non-manufacturers list of preferred methods?, but I haven't found that one yet. Can you help.

Sure.

1) Multiple hull compartments
2) Life rafts
3) Multiple bilge pumps
4) VHF radios
5) Proper boat owner training

Foam does me no good at all when I boat in waters colder than 40 degrees F, and it can hide rot that I otherwise would have seen/corrected, and cause rot that otherwise wouldn't be there. I suspect the number of people who have drowned from their boat sinking is far less than the number who died in collisions or other accidents where foam wouldn't help anyway.

Foam is "safety theater"... a cheap way for you to feel good about your boat being safe, or to cut corners in structural design for boats.

No boat is unsinkable, and foam gives a false sense of security.

Erik

Bondo

Staff member

Foam is "safety theater"... a cheap way for you to feel good about your boat being safe, or to cut corners in structural design for boats.

Ayuh,.... Amen Erik....

I'm in Your Boat Buddy.....

If somebody Needs foam to hold their hull together,.....
They've got the Wrong hull,.... Or a Bilgeliner.................;) :D

Coors

Captain

Yank the foam (I can't see foam as a structural component- it crushes).
Lou C had a good point, from talking to 4winns; some of their foam is structural.
(unless you install more bulkheads to strengthen it) That's a no-brainer.
Ditch the foam, install more lateral support.
done with that water-sucking crap.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Code:
Maybe I could post a “Erik's legal for non-manufacturers list of preferred methods”, but I haven't found that one yet. Can you help.

Sure.

1) Multiple hull compartments
2) Life rafts
3) Multiple bilge pumps
4) VHF radios
5) Proper boat owner training

Foam does me no good at all when I boat in waters colder than 40 degrees F, and it can hide rot that I otherwise would have seen/corrected, and cause rot that otherwise wouldn't be there. I suspect the number of people who have drowned from their boat sinking is far less than the number who died in collisions or other accidents where foam wouldn't help anyway.

No boat is unsinkable, and foam gives a false sense of security.

Erik

Well Erik, I agree with you on all those points! :D

Foam is like the PFD's under your seat on Intercontinental Airline Flights, if I survive the crash in the ocean, and get out of the plane, and don't die of hypothermia, and can't make it to the Ocean Rescue Life Raft, they will be really nice to have. Sort of a makes me feel better, but ...

... better to practice safe and defensive boating in the first place, than to rely on foam in the second.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Ayuh,.... Amen Erik....

I'm in Your Boat Buddy.....

If somebody Needs foam to hold their hull together,.....
They've got the Wrong hull,.... Or a Bilgeliner.................;) :D

The reason it is so popular with the manufactures is it is a cheap, fast way to strengthen the hull for the short term, and to get the Coast guard of their backs. In the long term I don't think it provides any advantages to the boat owner, on the contrary just lots of headaches.

This was my point of posting this in the first place, there are Coast guard acceptable methods available, they are just a little more costly. They involve a little more energy in the planning stage, and a little less in the “bean counting” in the production stage though.

No one ever talks about them, all we ever hear about is foam, foam, foam, foam.

You guys have certainly been around boats long enough to know all the proven methods, but not everyone that reads the forum has the wisdom and experience that you do.

I would like to see more information on how to integrate some of these other methods in rebuilds where foam was originally used.

P.S: sometimes this forum can get rather unfriendly, we are all here for the same reason I think, to enjoy and share our interest in boating. We all know you are all brilliant. Lighten up a little. :)

Bondo

Staff member

P.S: sometimes this forum can get rather unfriendly, we are all here for the same reason I think, to enjoy and share our interest in boating. We all know you are all brilliant. Lighten up a little.

Ayuh,..... Nothing Unfriendly going on here,.. At All.....

Just Opinions,.... Al abet,...Some Strong Opinions by Strong Personallities,....
But,...
Nothing Unfriendly.....;)

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Ayuh,..... Nothing Unfriendly going on here,.. At All.....

Just Opinions,.... Al abet,...Some Strong Opinions by Strong Personallities,....
But,...
Nothing Unfriendly.....;)

Nice to hear that ;)