stuck in reverse ~~ help!

bugboy

Cadet
HI,

I finished my carb kit and other adustments on my 15hp, 1984 Johnson. We put her on the boat and it ran like a top for 10 minutes, getting up to 17 mph pushing a 12 ft. hewescraft.

The problem, however, started when the motor stalled ~ not enough gas ~ but when we tried to shift the motor into neutral for starting, we could not get it out of reverse. We can move the shift lever to the N and F settings, but it does not engage the gear case as the shift rod is clearly moving.

I'm thinking it is the cradle for the gear that allows it to engage each clutch dog in the gear case.

Any suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: stuck in reverse ~~ help!

Sounds like you've possibly yanked the shift rod out of the brass shift connector that exists at the top forward section of the lower unit.

At any rate, you'll need to drop the lower unit to see that connector.

bugboy

Cadet

Thanks, Joe. I'll take a look and report back.

By the way, love your posts on engine maintenance and trouble shooting. They've helped me diagnose throttle issues prior to this last shake down...:rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

By any chance did you drain the gear oil out and remove a phillips head screw?

bugboy

Cadet

No, i did not remove THAT screw... thankfully.

Looks like I'll be removing it now, to clean the inside and to remove the lower unit and gears to clean and reconnect (i hope that's all that is needed).

It was run in saltwater for many years, so i'm hoping its a simple fix...