2001 0x66 250 HP Fuel Pump Working Intermittently

Bonafishark

Cadet
I am having issues with the engine cutting out, like someone pulling the kill switch, and have narrowed it down to the high pressure fuel pump in the VST.
Turn the key, hear the HP pump come one, engine starts fine.
Turn the key, dont hear the HP pump come on, engine wont start.
Is very intermittent. Sometimes will run fine all day, sometimes cut out, wait, start up, cut out, run fine, cut out, wait...Have cleaned/replaced all of fuel system parts as per regular maintenance and after reading numerous posts about ethanol problems.

I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues and what I can do next.

I have checked for loose wires, grounds, etc but have not found any.
Possibly the resistor or a relay switch?

Any help is truly appreciated as I have already been quoted a price of around $800 by mechanic who not only did not listen to the symptoms I was having, but also never even checked the engine itself. He just rambled on about the ethanol problem, how everyone is having them and it's going to cost x amount of dollars.

Thanks
Rob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 0x66 250 HP Fuel Pump Working Intermittently

hook up your voltmeter on the pump red wire and the black meter lead to ground. anytime the key switch is on you should see about 12-9 volts.
below about 1200 RPM the current path is from the main relay,through the resistor through the pump and back to ground via the ECU.
above about 1200 RPM the resistor is out of the circuit.
thats how they made it a 2 speed pump.
if your voltage at the pump remains look between the pump and the ECU, if it does not look back towards the main relay.
while ethanol is nasty stuff your just not describing a bad pump.
however careful testing with the multimeter can find it.
if it dies and your in a bind remember its a 12V pump and can be dissconneceted and using jumper leads taken to a 12V source and a ground.
red is key on 12+ and blue is the ground path.
at key on,engine off that pump will run about 5 seconds, from there the ECU is looking for an engine run signal from the pulser coils, if a pulser is failing its possible the run signal will dissapear and the ECU will shut off the pump.

Bonafishark

Cadet

Thanks much Rodbolt. Will do what you suggested today and post back here.

Bonafishark

Cadet

ok, narrowed it down to the main relay. voltage going is was 12 volts and when coming out, the HP pump was on and all worked ok. When not getting voltage out, HP pump off, boat wont turn over.
when all working ok, can hear the distinct clicking of the relay. when not, no clicking.
so I assume the relay is faulty and needs to be replaced.
just wondering if there was anything else to check out before spending the 160.00 for the part.
Is it possible there is a loose wire in the relay and could be repaired? I dont think so but worth asking.
Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!