1994 150 johnson...no reverse..silly question

goingpostal

Cadet
I want to cover all bases before I drop the lower unit. I have no info on the engine because I just purchased the boat. When I open the bottem screw only, to check the gear oil, it starts to pour out. Is it possible that it was over filled incorrectly and has formed an air pocket ? Could this stop it from shifting in reverse? I know it is a long shot. Thanks ..and no laughing !

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1994 150 johnson...no reverse..silly question

The gear case should be filled (via the bottom hole) until the level is up to the top hole.

I would expect oil to start coming out if the lower plug is removed but not to "pour" out. Unless it is the wrong grade ie far too light or the unit is pressurised due to being warm.

Check the level at the top hole while the engine is upright.

No it should not stop it going into reverse but the dog clutch may not actually engage if the engine is not running. Turn the prop as you try again gently.

No laughing? Why not?
9de80c77.gif

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disconnect the shift cable at the motor, shift the motor manually, and check the control cable, maybe time for replacement.

goingpostal

Cadet

Thanks for responding,
I have tried to shift it manually and the shifter moves down just a little bit, not as much as when it goes in forward. However it does not go in reverse at all. I spin the prop while I have someone shift the gears and nothing in reverse. It goes easily into forward. I guess it is time to grab my wallet and go to the shop.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you did try to shift with the cable disconnected didn't you? otherwise it may be as simple as an adjustment needed, or the control box is badly worn, that is also a common fault.