Motors dyes while driving

mcguire4202000

Recruit
I have a 1973 Johnson 65hp. It runs great out of water. Turns over 1st or 2nd try, but in the water it takes alot to get it to start. When it is running it may run for 200 yards and dye. Then it will not Krank again. It has had me paddle back twice. I replaced all the fuel line after the first trip because it was leaking alot of gas. It still smell really rich and some gas leaks out of the bottom of the three carbs. I need some help as to what to start trouble shooting. Any suggestion will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Motors dyes while driving

Is this a new problem, or has it been like this since you got it?

Outboard that runs great out of water then craps out when you put a load on it, happens all the time. Because of the underwater exhaust, there's no load at all when the exhaust isn't submerged.

I'm pretty sure from your symptoms that a carb rebuild will have ya up & running in no time.

Follow the directions here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

I highly recommend a manual - the factory service manual should be your first choice.

Welcome to the forum!

mcguire4202000

Recruit

I bought the motor about 2 months ago the first time I took it out it didn't dye on me, but the second and third time get your paddle ready. I'll work on the carbs. Bought it from an older guy that said he had very low hours on it. I'm sure he parked it with gas in it. I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like dirty carbs, then set the idle speed screw at +_ 1000 rpms, on muffs, then put it in the water start it, shift into gear, and readjust to 650-750 rpms. has to be in the water and in gear. if it keep stalling, keep adjusting.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sure sounds like it needs a carb rebuild.

mcguire4202000

Recruit

Ok finally got the carbs rebuilt and need to adjust the idle. Can someone tell me where the idle adjust screw is located.