1973 merc carb ?

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer
its on a 140. whats the float drop on this carb? I can't find it in my service manual.

its a Rochester 2gc btw.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 merc carb ?

well, I did find it.....oops.

I found 1 7/8" I hope thats right, because it was set at 1 3/4" and that would explain it bogging mid throttle.

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While you are in there, Change the accelerator pump. Thats the most common cause of bogging when carbs are concerned.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

well, i took it apart, to rebuild it. But it turned out that everything was in really good shape, so i cleaned everything out, go to put it together, and BAM, THEN the accelerator pump goes. So good thing I had the rebuild kit handy, so I replaced everyting.

Except I think a piece of rubber from the old and destroyed acc. pump is lodged in the primary jet circuit. I pumped it and it squirted, but now I don't see anything squirting. So back apart it goes I think.

but that float drop is right, right?

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never seen a 'Destroyed' acc. pump!! They get hard over time and don't give a good pump shot. I don't think the pump has anything to do with the primary circuit. It has its own circuit. Is the chamber that the plunger rides in good shape? There is a screw at the bottom of the float chamber, under the screw is the check ball for the pump. Check to make sure its in order. An 1/8" difference in the float drop should not cause your problems in my opinion.
Chris