Engine Identification

gunplumber7

Cadet
I just purchased a used boat with a Johnson 40 HP motor. The title lists it as a 1960 Johnson 40 HP RDS22 with a ser# of 2030683. I have looked but can't find any information on the motor anywhere. Where do I look to find this information? Thanks.

What I meant is that I can not find the identification markings on the motor itself. I took off the top cover and found nothing there. Where else should I look? Thanks again. Jerry

Last edited:

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Engine Identification

gunplumber

welcome to iboats

if it is info you are after you have come to the right place. What exactly are you looking for?

Basher

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As you already know, it is a 1960 40hp electric start. It is the first year 40hp in that series, running up to 1971. Spark pluts are J4C gapped at .030, breaker points are gapped at .020, Coils are probably shot unless somebody has replaced them, lower unit takes 80-90 outboard gear oil, fuel mix is 24:1 use TC-W3 certified outboard oil, some people say you can dilute it up to 50:1, that's your own decision to make. Has a hot wateer heated automatic choke that never worked when new. Most people put it on "automatic" to start the motor then flip it to "manual off" position. You can get parts books and service manuals right here at iboats.

You may also be interested in the Antique Outboard Club www.aomci.org

gunplumber7

Cadet

I guess what I'm looking for is how do I KNOW what engine I'm dealing with? Other than what's on the paper work, I can not find any identification markings on the motor itself other than Johnson 40 super seahorse on the cover. Where do I find the other markings (MOD. Ser#, etc.) so I know what engine I actually have and so I know I am getting the right manuals. As for the other information you supplied me with, thank you very much. That will be a big help in getting me out on the water.

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

gunplumber,

There should be a plate on the lower left hand side of the transom mounting bracket ( if you are standing behind the motor that is). This plate will tell you the model and serial numbers. If by chance it is missing there should be a silver disk on the motor which will tell you the model number.

Basher