Cobra Marine edge

cousineddie

Cadet
Anybody here have any experience using the Cobra Marine edge? I was thinking about using it on my 1995 Force 90 on a SS140 Skeeter bass boat.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Cobra Marine edge

I've never used this particular brand but I had a similar whale tail fin on my 125 HP Force. I took it off. It slowed me down by about 8 MPH no matter how I trimmed it out. It did keep the bow down and made for a smoother ride in real rough water. But that's because it forced the bow down and "plowed" through the waves rather than skipping over them.

I looked at the Cabelas WEB site for the reviews. Looks like it's no different than any other brand. If you look at the reviews, most people experienced the same. Kept the bow down at the expense of some speed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cobra Marine edge

I used SE Sport 300s on two of my boats. Quicker plane at lower speed, no effect on top speed.

Your engine MUST be at exactly the right height and trimmed at exactly the right angle or a hydrofoil will degrade performance. If it is set and trimmed right it has the effect of lengthening the boats planing surface.

Smart Tabs do a better job and are a lot more forgiving of bad rigging and trimming.