New battery, should I charge it first?

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for such a newbie question but I've never replaced my boat battery before, nor a car battery so not sure about this. I just bought a new Everstart DP-24 marine battery from Walmart. Do I need to charge it before using or can I just install it and take the boat for a spin? I'd like to know before I put it into the boat.

Thanks!

trob

rndn

Commander
Re: New battery, should I charge it first?

It should have enough juice to start your boat, however I strongly suggest you put it on a charger first to make sure it's fully charged.

well walmart batterys sometime are not charged just make sure that they are and that it holds a charge

MDH

Recruit

NO do not! If its got a charge you need to run it allllllll the way down. This is a rechargeable battery just like on your cell phone........ First time u use it run it all the way down other wise it wont take a full charge later on and you will notice this after several uses... because the battery is not taking all the charge and power time will eventually get less and less and you will burn a cell in it.... Now after you use it a few times run that sucker back down all the way or near all the way and trickle charge it on either 2 or 4 amps:).Alway try and use a trickle charger if you can.... takes longer but the charge last longer and so will the life of the battery. Hope this helps!:)

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rechargable battery lol what you smoking? I used to work on golf carts so

Rechargable battery lol what you smoking? I used to work on golf carts so

I figure im the expert on batterys. Lead plate battery with electrolight must never be allowed to fully discharge or will adversely affect its life. Full charge is always suggesed when purchasing a new lead type bat. Deep cycles can handle discharges say better than starting battery. Both have there own unique performance specs like starting has more zip for starters and deep for long drains. Charge it and during the winter 2amp trickle charge to keep it fully charged. A dead battery can freeze in winter a fully charged cant. One reason a trickle is always prefered heat is the enemy of bats down side it could take three days to charge a big bat or more.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I always charge a new battery, but for no reason! It's right there next to the charger near the work bench, so I give an hour or two while I get ready to make the switch. I've noticed that it never takes much, so it must be ready to go!

Not sure if if MDH is kidding or not. Sounds like over kill to me.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Fact or fiction that an acid battery has a memory? I have heard this but thought it was disproved. My understanding is any battery that is under charged should be charged to full capacity as soon as possible to prevent cell damage. In a car a battery is constantly being charged by the alternator hence always at full charge.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
there are a few battery lithium and kind found rechargeable drills

there are a few battery lithium and kind found rechargeable drills

Those will have instructions on how to charge up and a warning on lithiums many a car and house has been burned down. The RC plane guys will warn about car charging bats. There is no memory with electrolite bats a total discharged battery is water belive it or not and its lost its spunk the electrolite and acid. I have been told an asprin will help with sometimes with low elec but havent tried that.