who was Thomas Jefferson referring to?

Kiwi Phil

Commander
I have just finished a book my dearly beloved gave me last Xmas.
I read when I take the family and dog to the beach, and when I am waiting for Haydens basketball practice to finish.

It is by one of my favourite authors, Stephen E Ambrose (American), and the subject I would guess is something you have all had to study and do school assignments on.
Before i tell you how much I learnt about your history and how much i enjoyed the book, I thought I would add a twist and ask:

if I was to post the following single sentence, written by Thomas Jefferson, about the man this book was written about, then how many of you would be able to identify him.

"Of courage undaunted, possessing a firmness and perseverance of purpose which nothing but impossibilities could divert from its direction, ... honest, disinterested, liberal, of sound understanding and a fidelity to truth so scrupulous that whatever he should report would be as certain as if seen by ourselves, with all these qualifications as if selected and implanted by nature in one body for this express purpose, I could have no hesitation in confiding the enterprise to him."
Thomas Jefferson.

The book was a little difficult going at times,as it was not a novel nor an autobiography or a diary. More a cross between and account by a 3rd person constructed by a lot of research of old documents, publications and personal letters etc.

I would guess every American knows all the detail about this topic anyway.

Good read......plus I learnt a lot too.
Cheers
Phillip

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: who was Thomas Jefferson referring to?

"I would guess every American knows all the detail about this topic anyway."

You would be wrong.

I do not know much about that era in American history, but wish I did.

Ambrose lived just 70 miles from me.

Which of his books are you referring to?

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The reference is to Meriwether Lewis

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

The reference is to Meriwether Lewis

So who is this Meriwether Lewis guy, you may ask? :confused:

Most of us learned of this Mr. Lewis's accomplishments in school, only combined with this mans name, Clark.

I'll give you a hint, and make a little easier.

"Lewis and Clark"

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Hey SpinnerBait_Nut, you beat me to the buzzer! :D

I forgot to turn my cookies on. :mad:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I was about to make a smartalec comment about how most americans don't know their own history... and then I kept reading and found my guess of George Washington was wrong... so now I think I'll just bite my tongue, lest it betray me for the fool I am! :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I was about to make a smartalec comment about how most americans don't know their own history... and then I kept reading and found my guess of George Washington was wrong... so now I think I'll just bite my tongue, lest it betray me for the fool I am! :D

A fool is a man who thinks he knows everything.

You Mr. SgtMaj, are not a fool.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Yep, Meriweahter Lewis and William Clark.....I can tell you all about them and what they achieved. Now how's that for an Okker??

I read they led the "Corp of Discovery" which to me is a very unique name.
Fascinating read.

Jeffersons foresight to make the Luisiana Purchase was remarkable, considering the opposition he had in political circles.
Yes, had he not made it, then the French were in no position to defend it against settlers (invaders), still is is hard to envisage a "complete" america today had it not happened.
The book was Undaunted Courage, which is actually the reverse term that Jefferson used in the first lines of his only words every written post Lewis's death.
Bit of a twist by Ambrose actually, as it was pretty much the last page of the book that he quoted Jeffersons sentence. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

But for Lewis and Clark.....what an epic journey....and back.

Roscoe:
You live that close to where Ambrose lived???...amazing.
I have a few authors I have a passion for, and he is at the top of the list. i have on the shelf above me :
D-Day
Citizen Soldier
Band of Brothers
Wild Blue

I would recomend all to read this book......beats the TV documentary on it.

Cheers
Phillip

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Does the name Sacajawea mean any thing to you??? Other than the famed gold colored dollar coin.

MikDee

Banned

Does the name Sacajawea mean any thing to you??? Other than the famed gold colored dollar coin.

Their indian guide?

And I thought he was referring to Benjamin Franklin, another great forefather of ours! That man was amazing!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Their indian guide?

And I thought he was referring to Benjamin Franklin, another great forefather of ours! That man was amazing!
Bingo.................and a major factor in Lewis and Clark's achievements during their epic adventure.

bhammer

Ensign

I wrote a paper on her back in High School. There is not a lot of information on her but facinating what was available. The funny part is that most think of her as a Guide, but in actuality, she only served that role for a very small part (I think less than 100 miles) of the trip through the Three Forks area. Most of the journey was totally new to her. Sacajawea served more the role as a interpretress.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess would have been for Franklin.

I hate to burst your bubble though, Ambrose was a good writer, but he was also a good plagiarizer and story teller. Ambrose was an arrogant ***, he was under the impression that what he wrote was the way it happened and if he couldn't remember or didn't feel like researching he would make it up.

I do agree that most Americans are lacking in their historical knowledge. This is only compounded by the fact that our "teachers" are just feeding us stories that may or may not be true.

I must give props to Ambrose for leading the way for the D-Day museum. It is a fantastic experience and a great memorial to American Soldiers. Everyone should have to go and see it.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Had to go and find his name, but my impression from the book was that Sacajawea was the wife of Toussaint Charbonneau, a French Canadian, employed as a interpreter/woodsman, and when they started out, they had a new baby, and as far as I recall, it survived the round trip.
With interpreting, they had a problem real early, or having to use multiple interpreters, and if I remember correctly, she helped sometimes.

fdmsiv
you are right of course. I once thought this plagiarizer stuff was terrible till a case came up in our country maybe 5 yrs back. At the end of the day it was just a group of writers and journalist who never in a 100yrs would be any more than mediocre english teachers hell bent on destroying a sucessful writer.....maybe she should have called her work a novel when 1st questioned. It became a fiasco.
So I accept the story telling/plagiarizer bit, as to me the man does probably get the best impression of a situation across to the reader, and lets face it, this is history being assembled in a logical works, and if you put it up against Hollywood, TV and Folklore, which are all available to common folks, and official docs which are not......then I would be happy with Ambrose.
I can't disagree with your comment tho.

treedancer
thanks....I will put that on my "present" list.

Cheers
Phillip