No Start without bypass...

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 16ft Monarch Fishing boat with a 50hp Merc off the back. Went to start it the other day and got nothing. Battery was old so I replaced it. Still nothing.

Found that if I run a jumper wire direct from the battery to the ignition I can get it to fire but I lose the trim on the throttle (trim on the motor still works then). Also if I start it this way I have no other functions, I assume its becasue they run off the ignition?

Any ideas. Just happened all of a sudden. Any switches, fuses anyone can think of that would interrupt the power from the ignition to the engine and cut the trim too? Thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Start without bypass...

Sounds like an ignition switch. Spray WD in the switch and see if that helps.
Get a test light and check the switch.If you have a kill switch it might not be working.Jerry

Knot Waiting

Sounds like an ignition switch. Spray WD in the switch and see if that helps.
Get a test light and check the switch.If you have a kill switch it might not be working.Jerry

You make a good point with the kill switch there, for some reason I completely spaced that as a possibility. You think I'd be able to bypass that to test if it has failed? What would make the trim on the throttle inop yet the switch on the engine work with the ignition power wire bypassed?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You don't say what year it is but some of them have a 20 amp fuse under cowl. This would be in a red wire coming off the starter solenoid and provides power to the ignition switch.

Knot Waiting

You don't say what year it is but some of them have a 20 amp fuse under cowl. This would be in a red wire coming off the starter solenoid and provides power to the ignition switch.

Just wanted to thank you bhile, you were right on the money with that fuse. Never even knew it was there. Unfortunately I found it the hard way by unpluging and testing the continuity of nearly every ignition wire, lol. Then, bam, traced it right to the fuse.