1981 75 HP gas hose connector...

glastronv178

Cadet
I have boat with a 1981 75 HP evinrude. I have been completely replacing the fuel supply and bought a new "female" connector (for evinrude) to place at the end of the fuel hose, supposed to connect to the male part on the motor. The problem is that the female connector purchased does not quite "click" on the male part. In other words, I can slip the female part on the male part (kind of hard), but I cannot push it to the end to make a tight connection. Secondly, it cannot "click" because the length of the male part to click on is longer than the female part.
The male part on the motor has a hose barb on one end and the male connectors on the opposite end. It also has a screw hole on the side to hold it on the motor.
my question is where can I get a new matching male and female part to replace the ones on the motor. I looked on iboat and all I can find is a male part with a thread on the other end...I guess those go on a gas tank....
This is very confusing, I hope you can help
Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 75 HP gas hose connector...

There are other fuel connectors for other make engines that resemble the OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) fuel fitting. However these fittings will not work on the OMC engines. If the one you purchased is indeed a OMC fuel fitting, I'm at a loss to understand why it will not connect properly.

glastronv178

Cadet

yes it is a johnson/evinrude connector, but I was thinking that there was a change in design between 1981 and 2008...i don't know, i am at a loss too...I thought it would be a no brainer....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it an aftermarket connector? Could be that they got the wrong part in the package? As far as I know all the Evinrude / Johnson connectors are the same fit-up.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yamaha's are very similar, hard to tell apart unless they are beside each other. The diameter of the fuel part is just a tad larger I believe.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've had aftermarket ends that I had to actually press the latch down while holding it firmly onto the fitting to get them to latch. Attwood brand I think, would latch onto the tank fitting easily but had to work at getting it to latch onto the motor fitting.

Reggie08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had aftermarket ends that I had to actually press the latch down while holding it firmly onto the fitting to get them to latch. Attwood brand I think, would latch onto the tank fitting easily but had to work at getting it to latch onto the motor fitting.

Exactly how mine is. Mine won't "click" or latch unless I physically press down on the clip itself. It's a pretty snug fit but it fits perfectly.

It could be there's more of the male connector showing than normal giving the false impression the female fitting has more room to go. My suggestion would be to slip the hose connector onto the male connector then lift up or press down on the latch to see if it clicks/latches.