Overheating Pics of Head RODBOLT TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PICS PLEASE?

hurricane34

Cadet
By look at the pics this is the side thats giving me the problem.I have put a new water pump kit check thermostats and temp switchs they check out.Now by looking a the pics does this look like bad build up to cause alarm to go off.its a 1993 c115tlrr.I GET OVERHEATING ALARM AT RPMS ABOVE 4000.BUT THE ALARM DOESNT GO OFF EVERYTIME OUT.

boatmotor001.jpg

boatmotor002.jpg

boatmotor003.jpg

boatmotor004.jpg

boatmotor005.jpg

boatmotor006.jpg

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Overheating Pics of Head

My engine did that, too. At high RPMs only, it overheated. Pulled head, and yes there was moderate buildup. The culprit was a pencil-line thin channel across the head gasket sealing surface between the cylinder and the water jacket. At high RPMs, gases filled the water jacket enough to displace the cooling water and overheat the engine. I did not detect the tiny flaw. The trained eye of my mechanic picked up on it. New gasket. End of overheat problem. Years later, I have the head off again, trying to find out how water has gotten into my lowest cylinder. Wish me luck. good luck to you.

hurricane34

Cadet

Thanks I am in the process of cleaning it just was want a good eye to look at it before i put it back togther.What did you use to clean the salt water build up?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overheating Pics of Head RODBOLT TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PICS PLEASE?

carefully scrape off the scale, carefully clean all surfaces, I use the 3M pad on a drill, DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH.
carefully check cylinder head flatness as per the manual using a feeler guage and a straight edge. surface the head as nessasary.

reassemble with a YAMAHA head gasket and go boating.