Hydraulic Brakes LOCKING

sadutil

Cadet
I am currently running in the problems of my hydraulic brakes locking up in a major way. I have replaced both the complete brake assemblies on each side and also replaced the Hydraulic Brake Actualator. I got titan to send me a new shock to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. The brakes are all new with the exception of the brakes lines which are in good shape. I did replace the rubber lines though. I pulled the line off the actualator and I managed to push brake fluid through. It wasn't a solid fast stream like it would be if it had alot of force or pressure behind it though but it did seem to work. Any suggestions to what the problem may be would be helpful. thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydraulic Brakes LOCKING

What kind of brakes (disc or drum) and what kind of a coupler?

If you went from drum to disc you'll have to modifiy the coupler or get a new one thats designed to work with disc brakes.

sadutil

Cadet

Last night it seemed like it was locking in both directions..

sadutil

Cadet

They are drum brakes and I put on a Titan Model 60 wheel drum actualator. I will verify for sure when I get home.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

If they are single servo drum brakes then you might have swapped left and right sides. If they are single servo and both identical as in not mirror images of each other then you have one wrong brake.

Single servo brakes have only one piston in the cylinder and an anchor pin for the brake shoes behind the cylinder. Dual servo brakes have two pistons, one in front and one in back of the cylinder and a brake shoe anchor pin at the opposite side of the cylinder.

Weak springs on brake shoes, over tightened adjusters, missing tie down springs, over sized shoes (diameter and width), or out of round drums will also cause binding.

Calipers that can not float (floating calipers only) dirty cylinder bores, dragging or tapered pads and warped discs will cause disc brake binding.

Check for loose wheel bearings.

Tcrum5711

Seaman

Just did the exact same job on my snowmobile trailer. Loosen the star nut on the adjuster near the bottom of the backing plate so that the shoes aren't pushed so far out into the drums. There's a little plug on the back side of the backing plate so that you can adjust them with the hub/drum on. Sometimes it takes a couple of miles to get them set right.