Old 1960 merc 300EL - Starting & Running

DCaxman

Recruit
I have the wiring diagram for the Merc 300 EL but still need to find what color wires to connect to put on the on/off switch I have.
#1-I have a starter button,
#2-a choke button
#3-and an on/off button because I do not have an ignition switch.

I use the yellow and red for the starter button, the gray and jumper red for the choke, but need info how to connect the black, salmon and white onto a two pole on/off switch to give me constant spark to start and keep it running.
Thank You
Dan

Re: Old 1960 merc 300EL - Starting & Running

That engine has a magneto. It does not require any power sorce to run the engine. the only wire connected to it is the kill wire which is nothing but a direct ground switch. If you connect a power supply wire to the magneto be prepared to spend hundreds trying to find another one. The entire system has only several simple circuits . I would trace them out and forget about which color wire does what, just trace them out

DCaxman

Recruit

Thank you,
I'll do just that.
Dan

Im in the process of doing the same thing right now. I found the switches and wiring in bad shape with worn frayed wires so Im making a new main harness and new toggle and button switches from HD. Shouldnt cost over 30 bucks to replace everything. You dont need a seperate on off switch. The kill switch serves this purpose. Im keepin it real simple.One button to horn.one to pump. a button to choke, a button to starter. a switch for the lights and thats about it.