One to AVOID, Lake of the ozarks in Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Went to the Lake of the Ozarks with a friend two weeks ago and UGH! He has a 21' boat and we were tossed around so badly from all the other boat wakes I couldn't wait to get off the lake. Water sking? Only if you do not value your life!

Maybe its not so bad during the weekdays but the weekend was lunacy.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: One to AVOID, Lake of the ozarks in Missouri

Grew up playing on that lake with my grand dad. :D

I prefer to remember it, as it once was.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

If you would like to try it again, go back in the Fall, once the summer time “weekend warriors” are gone it does calm down somewhat.

It is just too dangerous to share the waters with the “party animals” during the summer months.

They have pretty much ruined, what was once a really nice place. :mad:

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My MIL used to own a house down there, the weekends were just nuts. On a midweek morning it wasn't too bad but the weekends are just nuts. I was with them once during a 3 day holiday weekend in a pontoon that was beat around so much that we called it quits after about 45 minutes. If you want a nice lake I will let you in on my secret Stockton lake SW MO. I grew up there and still love that lake. Its water is nice enough for scuba and is not over run with people yet.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want a nice lake I will let you in on my secret Stockton lake SW MO.

... Or try Tablerock Lake.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

table rock and bull shoals are both really great lakes. Huge too.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I don't know where your at, but just across the border into Arkansas is "Blue Shoals" & "Beaver Lake" (both are pretty close to Table Rock).

It has been years since I was last on them so it could be they are just as bad now. With Bentonville (home of Walmart) right next to Beaver it will probably be worse.

You might also want to check out "Grand Lake O the Cherokees" just over the border in Oklahoma.

pjb0422

Cadet

A lot depends on where you are boating at on LOZ. From Bagnell Dam to the 4-Corners area it is fairly crowded, especially from about where the Gravois arm comes in (6mm) to about Tan-Tar-A (26mm). In that stretch you have the popular restaurants and Party Cove. Once you get past the 35mm, there is less lake traffic. Holiday weekends are the worst on the lake - amatuers everywhere, jet skis everywhere, etc.

Last Sunday (06/08) I was out boating around noon and I was surprised at how few boats were out in my area (35mm). When we left on Sunday afternoon, we were amazed at how few boats we saw from the toll bridge (16mm). Normally we see dozens of boats from the bridge. I think we counted maybe 10 boats total when we crossed the bridge. I think the gas prices are starting to impact the number of boaters out running around.

I would definitely not take a 21' boat out on the lake during prime boating hours on a weekend at LOZ. I have an 18 1/2' bass boat that I make sure is back in my cove by 10am at the latest on a weekend. It scares the bejeezus out of me to be out on the lake in that small of a craft with all of the boat waves.

If you want to be out on LOZ when no one is there, come back after Labor Day. Not many boaters on the weekends, and even fewer during the week.

Phil

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I dive Beaver (gigity) once a year at least. That water down there is about as clear as your gonna get in the midwest. I haven't been to table rock since i was a kid. So it isn't over run by people, I figured with Branson so close that it would be crawling with people.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

I dive Beaver (gigity) once a year at least. That water down there is about as clear as your gonna get in the midwest. I haven't been to table rock since i was a kid. So it isn't over run by people, I figured with Branson so close that it would be crawling with people.

LMAO!!

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

can you say,, lets all go boating:D

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Last Sunday (06/08) I was out boating around noon and I was surprised at how few boats were out in my area (35mm).

Hey Phil. Sounds like you and I might be neighbors down at the lake. I've got a place at the 35mm. If you know where Valentine marine, or Captain Ron's is, I'm in the small cove to the left as you're heading into their cove.

Your right, it can sure be crazy out there on the weekends especially during the holidays. I've been fishing in the main channel all day long in a 12' john boat without a problem during the week.

I'll take the 24' pontoon out pretty much any time, but the 18' Procraft stays on the lift when the boat traffic gets heavy.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Thats not fair. :eek: I can't come, I am in Germany! :mad:

pjb0422

Cadet

Hey Phil. Sounds like you and I might be neighbors down at the lake. I've got a place at the 35mm. If you know where Valentine marine, or Captain Ron's is, I'm in the small cove to the left as you're heading into their cove.

I am familiar with your cove. I boated past Capt Ron's on Sunday when we were out running the big boat.

I am actually at the 36mm. I am the last cove on the north side before you get to the 2 miles of bluffs. I am about 2/3 of the way back in the cove. We'll have to try and hook up sometime. :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Snapping Turtle, you just need to get back here so we can all meet up and hoist a few:D

Phil

It may take a while, but until then hoist a few for me while your at it, and I want "Beaver diving" pictures as evidence! :D

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love LOZ, been going there for years. I have or rather had a Sea Ray 22.5 (just sold it) and you're right, you get tossed around pretty good. My boat held up well to the punishment. I do on many occasions, have to come off plane because its just too rough. My Dad kept his boat at Silver Sands up around the 39MM and its really not too bad up there. Also, the Niangua arm is relatively calmer. We would run the gauntlet, which starts around the 28MM heading to the dam. Had to run it to get to party cove. For me, I like the chaos and craziness of the lake. The more boats, the more chaos, the more fun the experience. You would have to be nuts to run around in a bass boat on that lake on the weekends. I've seen many do it and have seen a few get swamped.

Did that dude say he dived beaver? He must frequent party cove often.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

No offence meant.

I rather enjoyed your humorous (humor is a sign of intelligence) play on words Bubba, and I don't think it bothered anyone else in this thread, but ...

... there are those that seem to be rather sensitive when it comes to reading about “scuba diving” in Beavers Lake. :D

i know this is an old thread but it's the only thread I can find for the lakes in my area. Just to throw in my small bit of knowledge, the bellavista lakes are never crowded and many of them have no wake restrictions! there's seven and only two (lock lomond and lake ann) don't have no wake restrictions.

on another note, is there anybody else that lives in this area?? I'd love to hear oppinions on the best places to have some boating fun around here. (I'm kinda new to the boating scene in this area, even though I've lived here for 5 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.