Hard Start When Warm

lawsonds

Recruit
I have a 2002 Maxum ser MXPA16NKI102 motor Ser 0M098756
>
> When my boat gets hot and sits for about half an hour after stopping it, I cannot start it. I have taken it to 4 garages and spent nearly $3000 and they cannot fix it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hard Start When Warm

You can't start it because it doesn't crank or because it cranks and doesn't fire? In either case, check your battery cables and make sure the terminals are clean at both ends. If the latter, also check to see if your fuel lines have any cracks and check/change your fuel filter(s). I had problems like that on a previous boat and it turned out to be a bad fuel line that would let air in and vapor lock the fuel system.

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hard Start When Warm

If it's turning over but not starting, it may be flooding or experiencing vapor lock. If so, run your throttle (not in gear) wide open and then give it a try. It will probably start and you can back off the throttle.

A friend of mine had this problem with the boat before I bought it and he wore out 3 starters before he realized he could start it easily by opening the throttle on hot starts. Yes, there is a problem causing the flooding or perhaps vapor lock, but this tends to remedy the problem.