1986 Merc 50 HP 3 Cyl Coil ? UPDATE

Hello all,

I have a 1986 Merc 50 HP 3 cylinder that will not fire. The motor was running just fine 3 weeks ago.

The question I have is, power is getting to the switch box but not to the coils. We have tested all of the leads into the switch box and they produce but when checking the lines out of the switch box to the coils they are dead nothing going to the coils. We are not getting spark on the plugs as well.

I thought it was the key switch or the dead man switch but all look fine. One thing i did notice was the fuse that is connected to the starter was blown but the motor was still cranking with this fuse blown. Thought maybe that would do the trick so i replaced the fuse but nothing.

Any suggestions. I thought maybe a relay on the switch board is bad. Just don't know.

Any help would be great.
Jesse

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1986 Merc 50 HP 3 Cyl Coil ?

Re: 1986 Merc 50 HP 3 Cyl Coil ?

Disconnect the black/yellow wire on the switch box and then check for spark. If you now have spark there is a problem in you emergency kill circuit. Are you sure about that fuse? Wiring diagrams for your motor do not show a fuse in the stating circuit.

Re: 1986 Merc 50 HP 3 Cyl Coil ? update

Re: 1986 Merc 50 HP 3 Cyl Coil ? update

Update on what was going on. Put all circuits on a different much better volt meter and found out that we have just going to the rectifier and the switch box. We also checked for spark with the volt meter and found out that juice was going to the spark plugs. When testing the coils it was a very faint mark but we got a little tick.

Turned our thought to the carb and found that is was a mess upon opening it. It appears as if the fuel is not getting from the carbs to the plugs. It just looks like it is being sloshed around in the carbs. Thought maybe it was a stuck choke or a stuck float. Don't know, every thing i read online here in the posts say even if that is the case most engines still fire. This motor will not fire. It just sits there and cranks like the dead man switch is activated and yes i did check and make sure it was in the run position.

Any more thoughts from ya'll. You have been great help in the past.

Jesse