Fishing outer banks NC??

5150abf

Vice Admiral
We are going on vacation at the end of june/first of july to Cape Hatteras, Buxton to be specific and was looking for any tips on what to use, don't care what I catch just want to get something.

I am from way north Indiana so I have no idea what to use, I was thinking a shrimp and a worm weight but then I thought I would ask.

Probly more in Pamlico sound than the ocean but I may try that too, I wake up hours before anyone else in the family so I may as well spend it fishing eh.

Thanks in advance.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fishing outer banks NC??

You can purchase frozen squid and shrimp most anywhere at OBX. For surf fishing, you'll want at least 1 oz weight to keep it from washing around in the surf. A sand spike is handy - to hold the rod in the sand while you think about life. Also, 15 - 20 lbs test line. Best bet is to purchase a cheapy rig from Wally or someone ~ 30 - 40 dollars.
Next purchase for me is a book identifying what the fish is!

I love the outer banks.

Dont forget you got to have a licence to surf fish. You dont need one on a pier because the pier has a licence.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I already checked on a license,10 bucks for 10 days, quite a deal.

I will be using 6'6'' ugly stick and it is already wound with 25 lb line for catfishing.

I am hoping that gas doesn't go crazy here at the last second and I understand there is a giant bog fire going on the main land so hopefully the wind is coming off the ocean the whole time I am there.

Can't wait to go!!!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah! The wind. Almost all the time, it will come from the ocean side during the day and from the land side during the evening. Wind also helps to keep the bugs busy... therefore, not biting you.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

will you have a boat with you? what kind? (even the pamlico is big water! it's shallow and the wind is howling a lot of the time, can get really... um uncomfortable in a small boat.) A capable 4 wheel drive? what kind of fishing are you wanting to do? How ambitous / eager are you to spend a lot of time fishing vs playing at it a little? You name it and it is available... That's probably one of my favorite places in the world... and I live only a few hours away. We were out in the boat on the Pamlico River Sunday and may be on Hatterass or Ocracoke this weekend.

Generally cut fatback (big menhaden) is better bait in the surf than the others (when you can get it), that and stripers love eels depending on the timing.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

wca, the place we are staying has row boats but unfortunately that is it so I was thinking just walk the shore and see what I can scare up.

I would proably just be dinking around in the morning mostly, didn't know if you used a lure or just pop on a shrimp and start casting with a hook and weight.

We are going crabbing of coarse.

I am a catfisherman myself, once in a while I will pitch a lure around.

I have heard few people go there once, it will probably become one of our favorites too, we are a couple hours away also, like 17!!

Decided to drive halfway and spend the night then hit DC for half a day then finish driving to Buxton, going to Norfolk Naval station while we are there and look at some real boats, but mostly just messing around on the beach, I am very much looking forward to it, 17 more days!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

wca, the place we are staying has row boats but unfortunately that is it so I was thinking just walk the shore and see what I can scare up.

Staying at the Outer Banks Hotel I take it. :D

Your best beat would be wading the sound for Specks at first light. Use a 1/2 oz red headed jig and a small green twister tail.

You're going to need line a whole lot lighter than what you currently have on your rod. Either 4-6 lb mono or 10 lb braid works best.