Clutch dog questions/repair

BeerMonkey

Seaman
i have a 89 40 horse evinrude on a 89 suntracker 20" pontoon. when i first got it at full throttle it was lik eir was poping out if gear after finding this site i found out its prob the clutch dogs worn, now yesterday foward totally gave out it started clunking alot even at low throttle and then nothing, motor just reved like in neutral, now reverse still works (had to drive boat backwards to launch, fun fun for a first time boater) now my questions are is it still the clutch dogs that finally broke or something else and i found the parts to fix but im not sure if its somethinf i can do myself. i know nothing about boat motors but have pretty much done everything to cars from rebuilding motors to swapping v8's into things they dont belong in (327 in a s-10=lot of fun) only thing i have really never done is rebuild a auto tranny before though. i also have the factory service book fo rthe motor , i looked it over and it doesnt seem to bad, i just dont want to get into it and find out im in over my head.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BeerMonkey

Seaman
Re: Clutch dog questions/repair

well i think im gonna try to do this myself and see what happens, worst case ill take it somewhere if i cant figure it out