You will NOT believe this one!!!

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
Ok, so I've been looking for a decent used boat. Wanted something in reasonable shape that wouldn't break the bank. Got pretty weary looking at boats where over the phone the owners said it was in good shape only to go look and be horribly disappointed.

Finally got a call from a friend that knew I was in the market and said he knew of a decent boat that had been traded in because the engine was blown. I wasn't overly excited but figured what the heck, wouldn't hurt to look at one more.

Drove to the dealers lot and the boat was clear back in the rear corner of the lot. Its an 86 Bayliner Capri 1950 BowRider with a Volvo Penta 225 (225 HP Chevy 305) and a 275 out dirve. Hour meter said 102 hours and change.

The boat itself (other than some oxidation in places) looked great and the interior is near perfect and is setting on a decent trailer. (Trailer could use some paint.)

I was thinking, well if I could get it cheap enough I could drop another small block chevy in it. Talked to the dealer about it and he told me the previous owner had brought it in as a trade in and that there was something seriously wrong with the engine as it dumped all the engine oil in the bilge faster than you could pour it in the top of the engine. (In my head I was thinking busted block.)

He said they had not pulled it in the shop as its spring, his mechanics are working 10 hour days and they didn't have time and he did not want to invest anything in an older boat. Ok, so what would you take for it? He said $1,000 cash money. I left with the boat behind my truck. :)

I took it home and began looking around for a replacement engine but decided heck, it wouldn't cost me much to at least see what I could see with the existing engine. Filled with oil, hooked up the flusher and had a buddy fire the engine while I stuck my head in the bilge with a good light and mechanics mirror. About 3 seconds of run time was all I needed, the oil POURED out of it around the oil filter.

Folks, in all my years I have never seen an oil filter that was so tightly installed. I litteraly twisted the can getting it off. Got it off and half the o-ring was missing! Looked around carefully in the bilge and found the missing pieces.

Cleand up the mating surface, installed a new and correct filter (the filter the owner had installed was not the right one.) refilled the engine and fired it up. Not a drop of oil!!! The engine ran perfectly! Tossed in a new set of plugs, wires, dist. cap etc. and did a little tuning and it purrs.

Total investment, bout $1,100.

Fact, some people should NOT do their own maintenace and should let the shop do it. Oh well, his loss, my gain! Now all I need is for some decent weather, its been rainy all week...

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: You will NOT believe this one!!!

Very nice find! His loss your gain.

Check the deck and transom carefully for weak spots, these are known for that. That is a good engine and drive though should give you plenty of use. I would bet it flies on the water...mine does 32 on the gps with a 4 cyl Volvo engine, yours should go much faster.

Lots of help here and at baylinerownersclub on the net for these boats.

Have fun, be safe!

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you got a great bargain! Good for you! enjoy it...:D

And yes You can convince her.... Thats why you got it so cheap... The Music Gods were smiling on you.....:D

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good call to double check:cool: Most dont think of verifying a fault and go with the norm. Good luck!:)

Muqwump

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would invest one more dollar and get a LOTTO Ticket. Enjoy!

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Might want to put in a new Impeller.;)

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

good call Dakota I missed that one, definitely an impeller!

Joe

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

One more thing!! At the back of the motor on the back of the bell housing near the transom(still on the red housing) is a grease fitting. If no fitting then a screw.Fill this with 7-10 squirts of grease.Then do it on a regular basis once a month when using.If no fitting then remove the screw and put in a fitting, This will lube the intermediate driveshaft bearings(2)Then on the steering arm there is a fitting.It might be hard to put grease into this.Use a heat gun,just don't melt anything.Jerry

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

WOW. People can be so foolish!

Sounds like a great find, I hope everything works out!!!

Uraijit

Banned

Wow, congrats! I got a similar deal on my boat. The owner had blown the engine, and sold it cheap. It's a good solid 80's era Sea-Ray, but the engine really was blown. Got the engine out, and there's a rod right through the oil pan.

Went to the salvage yard, and found a GM Goodwrench engine and yanked it out. Tore it apart, and the rings haven't even fully seated in the block yet. Decided to go ahead and re-hone it, and put a fresh set of rings it it while I'm at it. $59 for the engine, $70 worth of parts for a gasket set, brass plugs, rings, and some Fel-Pro head gaskets. And this Saturday, I should be dropping in a nice "marinized" engine.

Went ahead and re carpeted the entire interior (way more work than I thought it would be), and next I'm going to start on the vinyl.

Boat: $1200
Engine+Marinizing: $129
Carpet: $100
Vinyl: $120
New outdrive impeller and gaskets: $50
Fresh paint job and vinyl graphics: $500

Grand total for a showroom-condition boat: $2099

I'll probably build a tower for it once I get done with all the major stuff.

Gonna drop another $1500 on it for a Compressed Natural Gas system, and boat for $0.64/gallon.

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought my 1991 18ft Marada w/4.3l and trailer for $200:cool:....Of course it needed if FEW things:rolleyes:......No...wait a minute....It needed everything:eek:...
Now she's looki'in good and runn'in GREAT:D

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had a guy ask me once why I oiled the filter gasket. After telling him he asked how did you know to do that? I turned the box to him and told him "says so right on the box". Got a real dumb OH! in response.:rolleyes:

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

lucky guy.. want to sell it?? $1,200

MikDee

Banned

Wait I'll give you $1500 :D
Great Find! More power to ya ;)

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Boats that loose oil filter gaskets are never safe again on the water...I'll give ya $1200.:D