6 hp evinrude fisherman help PLease :)

anhain

Recruit
I bought a fisherman 6 hp evinrude that I would like to find out the year to. I don't know were to look for the serial numbers, or else I would post them... any help would be awesome.

That will help get me to my second question. I bought the motor from a guy and the first time I took it out, I broke the shaft extension on the motor. I am trying to find a replacement one asap. I might be able to have it welded but I would like to find out the year of this motor to make things easier and also find a manual.:D
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys.
Andy

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 6 hp evinrude fisherman help PLease :)

The best way to identify the year is to look for the "data plate" on the port side of transom clamp assembly. It will have both the model number and the serial number on it. Of the two, the model number will provide the most easily cross referenced information. There are some folks here, however, who are pretty good at coming up with the model year just by the serial number.

If the data plate is missing, lok for a "freeze plug" on the top, rear portion of the powerhead. The serial number of the motor will be stamped into it.

Which ever info you find, post it here and we'll see what we can come up with for you.

BTW, you might want to post a pic of the damage that you did to the motor. You description is a bot vague so the photo might help in giving you advice onhow to deal with the problem.

anhain

Recruit

I will have to get it off the freeze plug and I will post pics tommorow. I may need help posting them though, since this is my first time. Thanks:)
Andy

anhain

Recruit

The serial number is
5512-06277
I couldn't find a model number, any help on learning the year would make my week

CATransplant

Admiral

The 5512 is the model number, and it means that you have a 1956 5.5 hp Evinrude. It's a close relative of the later 6 hp models.