Help! Boat drive skipping at half throttle or more

Chado339

Cadet
I bought a little boat the otherday with a chrysler 45 on it. Im not sure what year or model im guessing 74-83 it has a whie top with old school chrysler emblem in a brown gold background. Anyways I used it for the first time yesterday and it worked great no complaints plenty of power.

Today I brought it out and used it for about and hour with now porblems as i was coming in i noticed when i had it a little over half throttle to open that every oncce every 10 seconds or so it would experiance a skip or a jump in the drive, not an electrical skip or miss but it would cause the engine to bounce a little. it almost felt like would hit something but that wasnt the case as i was in 50 feet of water. I havent had a chance to tinker with it due to it being dark. However this would not do it when going slow or putting around. Im not a marine expert but would would anyone have some insight to what the problem may be or where i should start trouble shooting. Im not an outboard expert so i have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks Chad

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! Boat drive skipping at half throttle or more

Sounds like the clutch dog is worn.Jerry

Chado339

Cadet
Re: Help! Boat drive skipping at half throttle or more

Awesome is this a pain to change, and where would be the best place online to order/view part information?

-Thanks
Chad