1998 Yamaha 200hp VMAX stalling

evinrude20

Seaman
Hello again!
I took my big boat fishing today and ran into a problem. It's been running great all year and today as well. After fishing for a while (trolling) we went to go home. As we gave throttle it jsut about got on plane then stalled out. Started up again no problem, idled, same thing. Just about on plane and stalled. Then we got running again, and got on plane then kept accelerating but again it stalled. As quickly as the problem occured, it was gone. It worked fine the rest of the way home. It was shutdown for about 15 mins and then as we went to take it out of the water, the same problem occured. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Evinrude 20

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Yamaha 200hp VMAX stalling

post the complete model number
the V200 for 98 was a 3.3L EFI motor.
if in fact yours is a V200 for 1998 then your describing a clogged VST filter or a clogged water seperator or fuel system restriction.
on the 3.3 motors replace the lift pumps every 3 years as they tend to eat them.

evinrude20

Seaman

Hey rodbolt thanks for the reply. It is a V200 TLRX 3.1L OX66. We drained the fuel form what I think is the VST (silver container with a brass drain screw), took off the fuel filter and drained that fuel out as well. Anyways, took it out again today to run it and it ran well for 30 seconds wide open, then stalled out again. Checked the plugs and they were all clean with some minor build up along the edges. Thanks again,
E20

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

next step will be to clean the VST filter, remove all the phillips head screws you can.
then remove the 3 10mm hex head bolts, then remove the last 2 phillips head screws.
drop the tank awary from the body, remove the filter by rotating it. make sure the Oring on the tank is ok.
clean/replace the filter as nessasary.
reinstall the stuff.
go boating

evinrude20

Seaman

Thanks for you informative replies rodbolt. I am not a actual mechanic, but I have done some work before. I'm jsut wondering if there is anything to be aware of taking it apart. I don't want to get it off and not be able to put things inside back together ( as in springs, connectors, or parts that need to be tuned) but if its jsut teh filter, it shouldnt be a problem.
Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

biggest issue is if the Oring swells, if it does its time to replace it, if not use vasoline to aide in holding it in the groove.
other than that there isnt much to it, with practice its a 30 minute procedure.

evinrude20

Seaman

Ok, so I got the VST off, filter off. It looked quite clean, although there were some small particles. So I cleaned it well, cleaned the fuel filter as well and put it all back together. Thanks by the way for the very good instructions! You made it easy. So with joy in our breath, we headed to the launch again. Got it going as usuall, and ran for about 10 seconds then it happened again. It definately sounds like a drowning of fuel or somthing as it starts, and idles fine. Not sure where to go here.
Thanks

Bob Gale

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the same problem I'm having with my 2001 150 HPDI. See "2001 150 Yamaha HPDI breaking up" posting. I haven't gotten an answer yet. I put a guage on the bicycle test port on the top of the tank and have a constant 50#'s at all times, just like it should. If you want to email me at rbgbrig@comcast.net, I can send you the complete manual for he engine in .pdf format. Also let each other know if we discover something. Give me the good old days, with carbs, anytime.
Bob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its holding 50 PSI on the medium pressure rail its time to monitor high pressure, can be done with a laptop or a digital multimeter and a service manual.
if high pressure fuel is actually low it will also show up on the diagnostic test lamp as code 25.